Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Super Aeromaster .60 size biplane

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Super Aeromaster .60 size biplane

Old 03-11-2003, 05:07 AM
loopnspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Aeromaster .60 size biplane

Hi Everyone,

I have just finished building a discontinued Great Planes Super Aeromaster .60 sized biplane kit. This is an old Lou Andrews design that just caught my eye. I modified a few things from the instructions that I thought would make the plane better. Those modifications are that instead of one aileron servo center mounted in the lower wing going out to two bell cranks for the ailerons, I cut out two hatches where the bell cranks would have gone and installed separate servos for each. I also increased the rudder area by about 25%. The top wing does not have ailerons. Besides these mods, I built it according to the plans and instructions. I am using a Saito .91 four stroke for power. This plane could be built with either a 48" or 52 1/2" wingspan either swept or straight. I built mine with both wings swept and the longer wingspan. I just thought I would post this in hopes that someone out there would give me some idea as to how this plane might perform with this setup so I might have some idea as to what to expect regarding take off's landing and general flight characteristics. I found it kind of strange that the recommended 4 stroke engine range was .90 to 1.20. My feelings are that the 1.20 would be way overkill for this plane. Thanks much to anyone
Old 03-11-2003, 05:53 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have built two of them. One for me and one for my brother. I started to build it per planes. I got upset with the skarf joints, so I threww the ribs away and cut foam cores for all 4 wings. I went with 4 ailerons and 2 servos. Both are built with teh long wing and swept back. It looks the best that way to me.

One servo per wing moving upper and lower ailerons. I am powering mine with a K&B .65 sportster and my brother has a Super Tigre .61 blue head. Mine takes off in its own length and has a 75-80 degree climb out.

I too inlarged the rudder. I made it what I thought it needed. I am just short of double the stock size.

Knife edge at 1/3-1/2 throttle. Will almost do a knife edge loop. The .65 just does not have the power to pull it over the top.

Lands like a trainer. On low rates it is a slow, easy, cruiser. On high rates it is an aerobat. It will do almost anything you can think up. I have it setup to give flaperons. I give it about 15-20 degrees of flap and it looks like it is going to hover there as it lands.

It is a good all around plane. You will enjoy flying it.

Dru.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Rodney

I built seven of the old Lou Andrews Airomasters. Four flew great right off the board but three required minor incidence adjustment to the upper wings. All flew best with about -1.5 degrees in the upper wing and 0 in the lower wing. Just minor changes in the upper wing incidence made a great deal of difference in how well they flew. I converted all of mine to bolt on wings, used 6X32 nylon on some, 8X32 nylon bolts on the others. The 6X32 were more than ample as far a strength goes.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:42 PM
loopnspin

Thanks Dru and Rodney. One other thing I am just a little concerned about and that is with the Saito .91 I'm using and a 14x6 prop. I have adequate ground clearance, but does the tail pop up quickly when powering up to take off? I sure don't want the prop to hit ground if it does come up quickly. If I know now, I can be ready for it. Thanks again guys for the info.

Jeff
Old 03-12-2003, 12:20 AM
blvdbuzzard

On mine, once the power was added and the take off roll started the tail would come up in about 2 feet. I would then hold up elevator. It was off the ground in less then 10 feet. if it looks like it is going to nose over pull full up and it will climb ouot without a problem. It had no problem flying very slow so the stall was hard to reach.

Dru.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:32 AM
loopnspin

Thanks Dru! That was kind of what I expected would happen. Now I know for sure. One last question I just thought of. Did you follow the instructions recommendations for control throws? I haven't set them yet. I sure am looking forward to flying this plane. If I can figure out how to post a picture of it, I will do so as soon as I get some digital's of it. Thanks again.

Jeff
Old 03-12-2003, 07:07 AM
blvdbuzzard

I do not remember what the throw were. I went with what looked right and set the dual rates at half what full throw was. I do remember that it would roll way to fast with full throw.

Dru.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Roguedog

Default RE: Super Aeromaster .60 size biplane

Anyone here have a set of Super Aeromaster planes that they would be will sell or share or trade?

Always wanted one of these since the I saw the Great Planes ad back in the early eighties. Recently was able to get an Original first version of the Great Planes Super Super 60. In the kit was a Great Planes Catalog with the same pic that was in the ad showing a Super Areomaster in KnifeEdge under a ribbon. Way cool! See pic.

Great Planes does not hve the plans available on there website. Would love to build one of these.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32323.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1031525