Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spacewalker II power?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spacewalker II power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Don41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spacewalker II power?

Why I ask: I am a real world GA pilot and prefer my models to fly a lot more scale like than most kits which always seem over powered (at least to me).

The Spacewalker lists as an 11 to 13 pounder and the engines recommended are .90 to 1.20 two stroke or 1.20 to 1.60 four stroke. I have a new Saito .82 four stroke sitting on the shelf and have been considering mounting it. Suicidal? (:-)

(My idea of aerobatics is a roll or loop)

Hopefully someone else out there has tried the under powered approach.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:42 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spacewalker II power?

ORIGINAL: Don41

Why I ask: I am a real world GA pilot and prefer my models to fly a lot more scale like than most kits which always seem over powered (at least to me).

The Spacewalker lists as an 11 to 13 pounder and the engines recommended are .90 to 1.20 two stroke or 1.20 to 1.60 four stroke. I have a new Saito .82 four stroke sitting on the shelf and have been considering mounting it. Suicidal? (:-)

(My idea of aerobatics is a roll or loop)

Hopefully someone else out there has tried the under powered approach.
[8D]I think that an .82 4C would be a stretch. A 1.20 4C would be appropriate for scale flight.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:13 AM
jetmech05

why not put on the smallest reccommended engine, then for a more scale like takeoff don't use full throttle. better to have the power avialable and not use it, than need full power and not have it.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Don41

One big reason is that I have a .82 but the 1.20 will cost 320.00 (:-). Seriously though, I believe you fellows are probably correct but I was hoping to hear that someone out there is successfully flying the Spacewalker on less than recommended power.

I had considered a gas engine but I suspect that the ignition system frequently causes radio interference problems.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:34 PM
scratchonly

If you can get your 82 to turn a 14x6 at 9000 RPM, and it should, you will have over 7 lbs of static thrust; should fly well at 10 lbs, will be getting iffy at 13. Google "Aero design propeller selector". Safe download accurate program, a good starting placefor your question.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Don41

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out.

Regards