Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

would this be possible?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

would this be possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:47 PM
sharpshooter223

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would this be possible?

i have a T4YF futaba fm radio, its a 4 channel and has a trainer buddy box switch on it. i was wondering if it is possible to take that trainer switch and turn it into a 5th channel, if it is how do i do that.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: would this be possible?

Sorry, but that's just not possible. The radio is designed to transmit only 4 channels. All the trainer switch does is allow the sticks on the buddy box to control the radio instead of the sticks on the radio itself.

Ken
Old 08-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, can't do that.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:13 PM
broke_n_bummin

Depending on what you want to do with that 5th channel, there are a couple other options. For instance, if you mounted a camera on a servo in the cockpit, you could disable the rudder and use channel 4 to turn the camera. I wouldn't suggest doing that for retracts though, you'd have to take the return springs off the stick, then you'd have to make sure it stays where you put it. But, you could use them for flaps or something that doesn't need a switch.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:11 AM
sharpshooter223

the radio IS made for 4 channels, however, it transmits more waves per second than channels, currently it is only capable of altering 4 of those waves to control the servos, what im asking is if there is a small circuit i can ADD in to CHANGE the trainer switch into a 5th channel. it is extremely possible, i guess i shouldnt be asking that, what i am asking is if anybody knows of a prebuilt circuit like this or if there is a circuit i can make (i aint afraid of soldering). currently all the trainer switch can do is do the buddy box, i am wanting to go inside and CHANGE that into a channel. also if anybody has any electronic schematics of this radio that would be helpful. im sure futaba doesnt want me doing this cause then i get a 5th channel without buying a new radio, but screw the company, i bought it, so if anybody can help me with this, i would enjoy that. all i need to do is to attach a circuit to the toggle switch and to the main circuitry so that i can alter that 5th wave. i have already made up my mind that i will do this, i just need to know what circuit to make or buy and where i attach it to the main circuitry at.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:13 AM
sharpshooter223

so the subject of my post should be "whats the circuitry for this", i know its possible, so if all you want to say is i cant do it, then please dont post
Old 08-05-2007, 06:51 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I suppose that you could totally redesign and add on to the transmission circuitry of the radio to include that 5th channel, but there are two reasons why you probably won't want to do it. First of which is that it will probably cost you more to do that than it would to buy a 5 channel radio. And second, it is ILLEGAL in the US for the end user to modify the transmission circuits in the radio unless they are a licensed service technician. RC channels in the use are very close to frequencies used by commercial operators and therefore the FCC requires that RC transmission circuits be tuned to ensure they are on the proper frequency after any repairs or modifications. Violations of this are subject to a $10,000 fine from the FCC.

Ken
Old 08-05-2007, 06:53 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

The question here has been asked and answered. I don't see any reason to keep this thread open. I'm closing it down.

Ken