Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Does ca glue go bad if old

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Does ca glue go bad if old

Old 03-12-2003, 11:38 PM
FOD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does ca glue go bad if old

Bought a bottle of zap-a-gap medium, will not hold balsa together. what is the shelf life of ca glue.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:32 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default Yes,

CA definintely has a shelf life.. Once opened, it generally lasts less than one year. The shelf life can be extended by keeping it in the freezer. Unopened on the hobby shop shelf, I would expect it to go perhaps more than a year. But if thin CA starts to get thick, or if thick CA does not bond well, it is a sign it is going bad.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:53 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was keeping mine in the refrigerator to try to extend it's shelf life, but I found you need to let it warm up to room temp before using. I glued a couple pieces together and they had no strength at all- snapped with minor pressure. Now I just keep it out for instant use.

When it gets thick in the bottle, you know it's seen better days. Some of the glue (can't recall which brand) has expiration dates on it.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:44 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tend to leave it in the freezer and open a bottle when I need it. I leave it out once I start using it. On occasion, I have had to take it out and use it cold when I run out in the middle of a job if I forget to take it out before hand. Never had a problem with it but every brand has its own quirks.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:23 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as it flows, it should still work. I've never seen CA that just didn't stick. It could be that either your wood is too dry, or you're using too much (or have big gaps). Try hitting it with a little accelerator and see if it doesn't stick.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:54 AM
Tippie

Default shelf life

Heat and moisture are the enemy to keeping CA alive. As the others have said, after you start using a bottle keep in the frig. Also note that after you take it out of the cooler let it warm up (the bottle) in your hand or let it sit on the bench a while before you start using it.