Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Zen 30 Cg

Old 03-13-2003, 04:13 AM
Skyfoxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zen 30 Cg

Hello,
Can someone tell me the CG for a Zen 30 ARF?
I bought the plane with no book.
Thanks!
Old 03-17-2003, 01:54 AM
Ernie Misner

Default Zen 30 Cg

I'd give world models (airborne models here) a call. Hopefully they can help you.

Which engine are you going to put on it?

Ernie
Old 03-18-2003, 01:29 AM
Skyfoxx

Default cg

I am putting on a .46FX OS.
Anyone have the number to World models?
Old 03-18-2003, 07:42 AM
Ernie Misner

Default Zen 30 Cg

Here's the page for airborne models....

http://www.airborne-models.com/index.html

Let us know what you find out. It should be a real beast with the 46 on it!

Ernie
Old 04-18-2003, 12:40 PM
vprpilot

Default CG for Zen 30

Skyfoxx,

The CG should be 110mm (4.33 in) behind the leading edge measured at where the wing meets the fuselage. The wing should have +1 deg of incidence with 0 deg on the stab and no down thrust. The built in right thrust is correct. The recommended control throws: +/- 16mm on the elevator, +/- 34mm for the rudder and +/- 9mm for the ailerons are spot on for initial flights.

I am flying mine with an OS .32 and I find this to be a very good match for this airplane. The ZEN is an excellent flying aircraft and has no bad tendencies.

I would think that the .46 would be a little on the heavy side. The wing only has 463 sq in of area and the formed aluminum landing gear is quite thin. Please let us know how this combination works out.

Vprpilot
Old 04-18-2003, 07:42 PM
Ernie Misner

Default Zen 30 Cg

Hi Vprpilot,

I have an OS 32 looking for a home and I will take a look at the Zen 30 for it. What servos and battery did you use. Did it balance okay without adding any weight? Does the plane have any bad habits at all? Thanks for any info!

Ernie
Old 04-18-2003, 11:44 PM
vprpilot

Default ZEN 30

Hi Ernie,

World Models puts out one of the best ARFs I have built. I liked the ZEN so much I talked one of my friends into buying it. He too felt the quality of the aircraft was superb.

I am using a Futaba 8UA to control the A/C w/3001 servos on the rudder (pull/pull) and elevator and 9601 servos (2) for the ailerons. You could use standard servos in the wings as well.

Only two things gave me problems with the construction. WM included bolts for axles which I replaced with bolt on axles. Additionally the pushrod material was not threaded correctly. The threads were not really threads in that there were just some grooves in the wire. Not a big deal, I just replaced it. I also replaced the spinner with one I liked better.

The airplane flies quite fast and since it is small to begin with (46" wing span) you can't let it get as far away as a .60 size aircraft. The plane flies better than I do and I do believe makes me look like a better pilot than I really am. Rolls are very axial and stringing them together is very easy to do. Knife edge flight is also quite easy to accomplish. The OS 32 provides plenty of power for large loops, cuban-8's etc. The vertical is not unlimited but I would say more than adequate. Landings are quite easily accomplished although the plane does land faster than your typical sport model.

I am using a Mac's Muffler on the .32 and turning a 9x7 wooden prop.

I hope this helps. If I knew how to put pictures into this email I would share a picture with you. I put some of my own graphics on the plane.

Vprpilot
Old 04-19-2003, 11:09 AM
Skyfoxx

Default Zen 30 Cg

Thanks vprpilot for the info.
I bought the plane built from a swap shop. I hope it flies right.
You never know if you buy someones problems.
I had an OS 46 laying around and was told it flew nice with one in it. I'll let you know how it does?
Thanks
Old 04-19-2003, 04:50 PM
Ernie Misner

Default Zen 30 Cg

Very good information on the Zen 30. Thank you Vprpilot.

I have been using HiTec servos so I am not familiar with the numbers on JR's. Tell me about the size of those servos. Are they a 'mini' size? What size battery pack did you wind up using? Have to move things back or foreward to get your balance.... add any extra weight?

It sure does sound like fun! How about putting a Webra 35 or an Irvine 39 on it?? !!

Ernie
Old 04-22-2003, 11:01 AM
vprpilot

Default Zen 30

I use Futaba Servos. The 3001 is a standard servo which is about the same size as a Hitec 475. The 9601 is a smaller, midsize servo (1.4"x0.6"x1.2") with a coreless motor. But like I said, any standard servo will fit in the plane. I am using a standard 4 cell 600MAH flat pack and I put it under the fuel tank. No extra weight was necessary for forward and aft balance. I did end up putting about 3/8 oz weight in the right wing tip.

I have experience with Webra engines and they are a good product as well. I am sure it would work fine. I have never seen an Irvine engine run so I cannot comment on it. I would compare the respective weights and power output (in addition to my wallet) of each engine to make my decision.

Over the years I have learned (sometimes the hard way) that cramming the biggest engine you can into an airplane is not always the smartest thing to do. While an oversize engine will provide plenty of excess power, it does not come without penalty. The oversize engine would make it more difficult to balance the aircraft and quite often I would end up adding weight to the tail. In the end I would end up with a lead sled that just wouldn't fly all that well. I now prefer to keep my planes light and nimble.

Vprpilot
Old 04-22-2003, 06:25 PM
Ernie Misner

Default Zen 30 Cg

Thanks Vprpilot, that is just the info I was looking for. I like my planes to fly on the wing rather than on the prop also. The reason I suggested the webra 35 and the Irvine 39 is that they both weigh the same as the OS 32.

Oh another question.... I think you mentioned that you use the Mac's one piece muffler, right? How did you mount the engine on the Zen 30 to get the proper orientation for the Macs muffler?

Thanks again!

Ernie
Old 04-23-2003, 11:23 AM
vprpilot

Default Zen 30

I mounted the engine inverted with the muffler extending out the left side of the cowl. The exhaust ends up about 5/8" from and pointed directly at the leading edge of the wing. To prevent this from being a problem I installed a Hobbico exhaust deflector to direct the exhaust under the wing.

I normally will avoid mounting engines inverted due to all the various issues involved with inverted engines. However, it was impossible to put it on its side w/out major modifications and I felt that putting the engine upright would spoil the good looks of the airplane. The engine runs fine inverted, but starting it inverted requires a little extra care.

I also opened up the cowl slightly under its chin and enlarged the opening at the rear of the cowl for improved air flow.

Vprpilot
Old 12-30-2003, 08:57 PM
malin

Default RE: <span class=

Just one question? with the engine mounted inverted. Did you change the tank instulation at all. I have installed an OS 40 fp and have also mounted inverted. My main concern is the tendency to siphone from the tank being so high.

If anyone has any sugestions on correcting this please let me know.

Malin