Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Affixing Control Horns

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Affixing Control Horns

Old 08-23-2007, 04:37 PM
rheauljj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Affixing Control Horns

Basic question on a basic part.

Installing control horns on tapered aileron or elevator stock. I'm looking for some advice on how to drill these holes straight so they are parallel and will allow me to install the plastic "catch" piece. After I mark the hole locations do I drill straight down or try to maintain the angle of the stock? I have a nice hand drill so I think I have all the equipment I need.

I've drilled several and I can't get them to properly align. It's driving me nuts!

Advice?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Norm Nestie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Affixing Control Horns

One of the things I'm not crazy about is attaching control horns. Using your hand drill, place your control in place horn on the control surface and do your best to dril straight through. I'll get one hole drilled and attach top and bottom of assembly and then using a T pin or similar push through the undrilled hole on top with the hope of it coming nicely straight through the bottom hole. Helps to act as a guide for when I rill the second hole. They're a real pain and maybe some one else has a neat way of doing it.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Affixing Control Horns

rheauljj,

Take a look at this link. Very good idea on how to drill those holes for the control horns and get them straight.

http://www.rcaerobats.net/CG-Yak/ControlDrillGuide.htm