Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine Breakin: w or W/o stock muffler

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine Breakin: w or W/o stock muffler

Old 03-17-2003, 04:06 AM
doenges

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Breakin: w or W/o stock muffler

I will be using a Pitts style muffler on my OS FX.46. I have yet to fire it up. Should I perform the break-in with the stock OS muffler or the Pitts style?

Or does it not matter.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2003, 01:27 PM
jaka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello!

Ofcourse you can use any muffler you like as long as you run the engine a little rich.

Regards!
Jan K
Old 03-19-2003, 06:25 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

I leave the muffler off when I can. Break in is all about heat cycling, and taking heat away from a new engine. It can be done either way though. The important thing is that you are even breaking it in at all! Surprisingly enough, some engines never see a "proper" break in/heat cyclng period. A "must read" for any real engine enthusiast is the book by Dave Gierke entitled, "2-Stroke Glow Engines for R/C Aircraft." On page 12 it reads as follows, "The engine will run cooler if the muffler is removed during break in, however you'll lose your solid-needle-setting-muffler-pressure advantage, and the neighbors won't appreciate the racket, so leave it on." You decide
Old 03-19-2003, 11:59 AM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

doenges,
if you're using an engine stand for break-in you may have difficulty mounting a Pitts except with the exhaust pointing forward (yuk) or up (ugh). I generally use the stock muffler for break-in then the Pitts for final tune-up on the plane.