Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Remote glow driver help

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Remote glow driver help

Old 03-17-2003, 09:40 PM
p.j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote glow driver help

Hi all. I need a remote glow driver and would like to try to build it my self. I was hoping I could get some ideas on the best way to make the dummy glow plug end . Some picks would be nice.

Thanks P.J
Old 03-17-2003, 09:55 PM
CafeenMan

You can put an eye lug on the ground lead and bolt it on using the the engine mounting bolts. The other end can simply be a small loop of wire with a kink in it that clips on the glow plug post.

At the other end you can use an 1/8" headphone jack. I don't know the actual name of it. The system is very easy to make, inexpensive and reliable. I couldn't begin to tell you how to make a head-lock type glow plug clip. If that's what you want, you may as well buy a commercially made unit.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:03 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want to add a 'plug', just run your wires to 2 separate machine screws on your a/c somewhere and using alagator clips on the wires from your flight box, just clip to each bolt to heat the plug.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:11 PM
CafeenMan

smchale - I'm not understanding what you're saying. It sounds like you're shorting the wires through the engine. ???
Old 03-17-2003, 10:31 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure if i am explaining it very well. my flight box has a +'ve and a -'ve jack. into that goes red and black bananna plugs from aligator clips...i also have one made up that goes into a spring loaded glow plug attachment, and a third clip made up for 1/2a glow heads. anyways, on the a/c I have one wire going from the glow plug to the outside of the a/c, and another going from a bolt holding the engine to the mount to the outside of the a/c. the glow goes to the positive aligator clip and the ground goes to the negative alagator clip.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Mystic6
My Feedback: (1)

Here's one way:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...mote+glow+plug

Here's another thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...mote+glow+plug]
Old 03-18-2003, 01:16 AM
CafeenMan

Originally posted by smchale
not sure if i am explaining it very well. my flight box has a +'ve and a -'ve jack. into that goes red and black bananna plugs from aligator clips...i also have one made up that goes into a spring loaded glow plug attachment, and a third clip made up for 1/2a glow heads. anyways, on the a/c I have one wire going from the glow plug to the outside of the a/c, and another going from a bolt holding the engine to the mount to the outside of the a/c. the glow goes to the positive aligator clip and the ground goes to the negative alagator clip.
OK, that's pretty much what I was trying to say as well. From your last post I thought you were saying you could hook up the positive to some bolt on the engine and the negative to another bolt on the engine and it would all work. Obviously that wouldn't work which is why I asked.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:51 AM
p.j

Many thanks for all the great suggestions. I think i should be able to hook something up.

P.J