Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9,P-40 retracts & balance

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hanger 9,P-40 retracts & balance

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Valve floater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9,P-40 retracts & balance

Hanger 9,P-40
I am adjusting my stock retracts. Is it possible to get all the wobble or slack when in the down position? It moves a little from left to right. In the up position it hangs a little, but not all the way seated in the wheel well. This may be the best as poss. If i adj. to much one way or the other, my retract servo binds and drains my batt. Also i adj. a little toe in in the down position because when the plane moves foward ,then they go perfectly in line when rolling. These are my first retracts. 2nd hand plane. I have not flown it yet.Thanks, help!
Old 09-01-2007, 11:26 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: Hanger 9,retracts

i think there is a allen screw to take out some of the wobble have the same ones in the hp p-51 lots of bad press about the retracts on the rcu frank
Old 09-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Valve floater

Default RE: Hanger 9,retracts

Thanks.I have heard some say they have over 100 flights on them. I am going to try my best to make them work for now. On taxi even at full up, this plane will nose quick. I have no nose weight added. Saito 100. What if i move my battery more rear to stop this? I have it behind the tank now. But then how would it fly? I know you have to do full up on taxi, but this is crazy.
Oh, if you tighten the allen screw to much the the retract will lock open;won`t close. Thanks
Old 09-02-2007, 08:14 AM
broke_n_bummin

Default RE: Hanger 9,retracts & balance

You can tighten them (with the allen screw) just to the point where the play is gone. This will keep the plane tracking straight on the ground and keep them from sagging when they're up. There should be 2 allen screws. One adjusts the play in the up position and the other is for the down position. If you have the wheel pants on (skirt), you're going to have to leave just a little play in them when the wheels are up. Take one of the retracts out and see if there are any shims under the back side of the retract mount. This will move the wheels out in front of the LE just a bit. Keep the elevator at full up when taxiing. That's a heavy engine and it's just the nature of a warbird to noseover on taxi.As far as ballancing, check your CG before you add weight or move the battery. If you have to, you can move the battery toward the rear.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Valve floater

Thanks. I will try it next week. Sounds lke these retracts are just good enough,but not perfect.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Valve floater

Thanks,in up position it sags a little, which is cosmetic, i can deal with that. Looks like if you bend the landing gear foward to keep plane from nosing,it really won`t fit right in the wheel wells. Is this correct? Also, i see one allen in the front but can`t find the other? Any tips? Thanks[&o]