Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

HELP!-How Do I Cut Aluminum Spinners?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

HELP!-How Do I Cut Aluminum Spinners?

Old 03-18-2003, 10:41 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!-How Do I Cut Aluminum Spinners?

Okay, those nice shiny aluminum spinners do not always fit the props we choose to use! What is the best way to modify these works of art to accept different sized props?

Thanks!

LOOPMAN
Old 03-18-2003, 11:31 PM
Redwind

A dremel does a great job.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:43 PM
linclogs

Very carefully!

Seriously, check out the following thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...677&forumid=60

I and a few others contributed to this subject awhile back..
Old 03-19-2003, 12:03 PM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

I think a dremel should work best, but make sure you balance that thing good. Use a magnatic balancer like the top flight or the dubro. It will take a while to get it balanced, but it is a nessesity.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:42 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

The best thing to do is call tru-turn, tell them what engine/prop you are using and they will factory cut the spinner for a reasonable charge. They also will then gaurantee the product and assume any liablity for failure.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:46 PM
linclogs

"The best thing to do is call tru-turn..."

See the post I referred to in my earlier reply, above. Tru-Turn didn't help me. They acted like what I was asking for was not safe, but was exactly what the kit I was building called for (per instructions/plans). I know we could have endless arguments about what is safe and who said what, but bottom line is, I had to do it myself.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:32 PM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

I've seen some really nice tru-turn spinners. But you need to be careful when you call them. I was looking for a spinner a few weeks back and called them. I got a quote on a 2.25 standard with special cut along with an adapter. I told them I would think about it and call them back. The next day I called them back and was told there was no way I could get what I was told the night before. It would not fit my engine and prop. This guy said I need to buy the Jet Spinner.

The moral of the story is that some of the people there dont know what they are talking about. I've heard about others running into the same thing I did.

The other unfortunate part. The quote for the spinner and adapter was $63.00 shipped! For a 2.25" spinner! I am certainly not rich and I don't consider myself cheap. But $63 for a small 2.25" setup seams outragous. The tru-turn setups are twice as expensive as their competitors. Imagine if you wanted to buy that setup for a TT 46 engine. lol You'd be spending almost as much for the spinner as you would be the motor.

I ended up buying a Vortech spinner that was handcut with adaptor for $30 direct from Dave Brown. Is it as nice as the Tru Turn? Not quite, but it saved me over 50% off the price.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:49 PM
linclogs

Interesting!

I would have never thought about asking again at a later time. Just figured the answer I got was the final word. But I was pleased with the results I got when I cut my own (as shown in the other thread I referenced above):

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthrea...9087&forumid=60

I also agree they are a bit pricey. I know, I know ..."You get what you pay for". But can you say, "ALUMINUM"? It's not 24K gold!Some folks just feel better if they pay a higher price. I once argued with a lady (BIG mistake) that you don't get a higher quality appliance (like say, a Hamilton Beach mixer) just because you went to Macy's and bought it instead of K-Mart. That Hamilton Beach mixer doesn't know which store it will be sold in as it's going through the assembly line! It's made of exactly the same materials. But she felt she was getting something better because she paid more for it at Macy's.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:31 AM
bignasdy-RCU

there is a tool at radio shack called the snip it. it works great! I used it after being refered by pica. try it
d
Old 03-22-2003, 06:44 PM
LUNATIC
My Feedback: (4)

I used a Tungsten Carbide bit and a Dremel on my GP spinner with great results. Also, make sure you use some type of lube and make sure the dremel is on a SLOW speed.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:33 PM
Crash_N_Burn

On Tru-Turn 2-1/2" and above spinners I now order the -120 size. They have twice the size hub cut-outs that a standard spinner has. Will fit APC props with room to spare.

Don't think they are offered in 2-1/4, but I could be wrong.

It just pains me to have to hog-out a $US30 spinner and balance it just because it won't fit an APC prop. No matter how much care I take, it just doesn't quite look as good as factory.