Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

buying a new radio

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

buying a new radio

Old 09-10-2007, 08:31 AM
draftman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a new radio

I am back into to the hobby after 20 yrs and I need to buy a new radio for my trainer. what radio should I get and whats with this new 2.4 i have been reading about. is 72 mhg on its way out? I can't see spending $400.00 on a radio that is 2.4 right now. I would be flying alone or with a very small group of people. (less than 15). thank you.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:58 AM
LANNYBOB

Default RE: buying a new radio

the futuba 4exa computer radio is a good one for you. it costs $140.00 with this radio you wont have too by another one.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:07 AM
broke_n_bummin

There are a lot of different choices you could make. PPM, PCM, AM, 2.4GHz... They all have their strong points and each have their drawbacks. If it were me, I would look at something like [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRXF5**&P=0]this[/link]. It has 6 channels with dual rates. It has 6 model memory. It will do PPM and PCM, even helicopter if that's the road you choose later on. It's one you can "grow with" I have one of it's older brothers (6Xeas) and it's all the radio I need.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:10 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto to what broke n bummin said, that's an excellent choice.

the 2.4Ghz is a great option and is the wave of the future, but you won't be seeing the 72Mhz disappearing any time soon.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 AM
GmanBill
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Ditto to what broke n bummin said, that's an excellent choice.

the 2.4Ghz is a great option and is the wave of the future, but you won't be seeing the 72Mhz disappearing any time soon.
And you can get the 6 chanel transmitter and reciever cheap in comparison http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../futk6900.html
you cant beat this deal unless you live here by me where a hobby shop is selling them at just over there cost.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 AM
meaden

I got back into RC a couple of years ago after 10 years out of it. I settled on the Futaba 7CAP an I'm very happy with it. It's PPM and PCM. In the $250 range.

There's only two things that I have found it can't do that the 9CAP can. Reverse a servo on a on a second programed channel (as in a split elevator with 2 servos.) An be upgraded to 2.4 with a module.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:20 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi

of all the brands available I prefer hitec. it is very good equpment and they give excellent service. I have a prism 7 and an eclipse with spectra module. with this module you can choose any of the 72 channels and they now have a programmable receiver to go along with this. I am still using their 8 channel receiver on my planes.
so the eclipse with module would be an excellent choice.
the 2.4 still somewhat new to rc do don't know here. several in club are using these however and have heard of no problems.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer