Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

2.4Ghz Transmitters

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

2.4Ghz Transmitters

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:42 AM
ROGUE ROVER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4Ghz Transmitters

Are we going to start seeing an influx of stomach and lower body style cancers with this new technology?
surely with relatively high powered microwaves we will. Maybe I`m completely and utterly wrong??
Old 09-15-2007, 07:13 AM
air-madness

Default RE: 2.4Ghz Transmitters

Well, I sure an exposure to enough waves could pose some sort of problem, but I really doubt it with these particular ones. 2.4Ghz has been around for a while now in other applications...it is just somewhat new (past 12 years approx) to the hobby. I personally don't like it -- I still prefer my 72MHz. Each choice has their flaws and it mainly boils down to consumer preference.

Radio-wave frequences function much different than radio-active waves...the two are entirely different. Hell, my watch has WAY more radio active material in it than handling an r/c transmitter. My watch uses Tritium to illumnate the hands and number markers... Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen, the amounts used for my watch are small enough that I am safe. My watch is so bright at night that I could actually read text off of paper if I hold the wacth above it! Who knows, I may end up with wrist cancer down the road!
Old 09-15-2007, 07:18 AM
air-madness

Also, the microwaves that we are so commonly dealing with (i.e. the microwave oven) actually are not radio active at all. Microwave ovens work by having the frequency tuned to one which agitates water. All substance have a melting point, flash point, boiling point etc. If you had an item that has absolutely NO water in it, you could stick it in the microwave oven and find that it is unaffected.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:41 AM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

why do you think when we start using 2.4 stuff we get that warm and fuzzy feeling in our gut.no i don't think it is any worse than a 2.4 cell phone up to my headddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd, sorry i stutter sometimes
Old 09-15-2007, 10:22 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The power output is low, and the energy is directed away from you by the antenna, so you have a greater chance of hitting yourself with your plane than you do incurring injury with radio emission from your Tx.

Radioactivity is so different from radio waves that they don't even fit in the same conversation. Radio waves have no mass, but this is their only similarity to gamma radiation, which is extremely energetic and higher in the emission band than X-Ray.

Alpha radiation has mass (the same as a Helium nucleus, 2 protons and 2 neutrons) but is a slow particle due to the mass and a sheet of paper, or even your skin, will shield you. They are dangerous if the alpha emiiter is injested or inhaled.

Beta radiation (mas of approx 1/2000 of a proton) is more penetrating than alpha and can be a hazard, but only if the source is close (within a couple of feet) ar injested or inhaled. They are also easily blocked by most solid materials.

Gamma is by far the most dangerous, due to its high energy, but is far and away from electromagnetic radiation on the 2.4 GHz range. Gamma is in the range of 30EHz to 30 ZHz (10 to minus 11, to 10 to minus 14).. GHz is in the 10 to minus 6)
Old 09-15-2007, 02:03 PM
jetmech05

we will never get out of this life alive anyway so fly 2.4 lol
Old 09-15-2007, 05:27 PM
RichM

2.4 GHz transmitters are limited to less output power than 72 MHz, so there is less energy radiating to the body, albeit at a higher frequency. Also, it uses the same frequency as some portable home phones, garage door openers, and many other devices. Soooo, if you're really concerned, build yourself a room surrounded, including ceiling and floor, with copper screen, ground it thoroughly, and move inside for life.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:48 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont forget the aluminum foil hat.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:34 AM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeffk464

Dont forget the aluminum foil hat.
or the lead-lined tee shirt, or even more important, athletic cup
Old 09-16-2007, 04:59 PM
mirwin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeffk464 Dont forget the aluminum foil hat.
I use a stainless steel pan from the kitchen. I point the handle straight over my nose so it helps me point the airplane.

Say, glow fuel won't blow up if I accidentally drop the fuel container, will it? I mean, after all, it DOES have nitro in it.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:22 PM
ROGUE ROVER

MMM...thanks for the feedback guy`s