Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

wish to cover and paint ...need help

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

wish to cover and paint ...need help

Old 09-23-2007, 06:00 PM
lasko220v

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wish to cover and paint ...need help

I would like to cover a goldberg cub and paint in drab green. Not as a master piece but a practice piece. I know the weight will be extra but I am doing it for the learning process. I would appreciate any inputs as to what coving and what type and brand of paint should be used for best results. Thanks!! I've had it with plastic!!!!
Old 09-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: wish to cover and paint ...need help

Any of the TEX type of covering. I use Solartex. Thay come in colors too. If you are going to paint then I like to use the off white. This is A fabric covering, very easy to use and work with and adds almost no extra weight. You should use some sort of clear coat over it to keep it from staining. Not sure what type of paint you can get in your country but I like to use Untracote paint when I can find it. Clear coat I use any of the poly types found in Hardware stores.
There are A lot of choices and I'm sure some of the guys here have better choices then I do but these work for me.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:55 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the polyester dress lining for fabric attached with Minwax Polycryllic
It's cheep and easy to get.. Even Wal-Mart stocks the stuff.
Heck for my covering process Wal-Mart is almost a one stop covering shop.

There are a ton of threads on how to do it.. A search for Dress Liner, polycryllic or polyc will get you hours of reading.

The quick version is attach the fabric by brushing it on with polycryllic the same as you would a dope finish.

After it's all attached and dry do a full coat to soak the fabric and seal the edges.. let it dry. hit it with a heat gun to work out any wrinkles.
Don't go nuts with the heat.. you can burn a hole in it after awhile.

repeat for 2-3 coats to fill the weave and you still want the fabric look.. add a few more for a smooth finish..

Next go for your color coats.. On my stick I used rustolium flat forest green camo paint. 2 coats did the trick . Stripes were done with the 99 cent flat white and black rattle cans.

the final clear coat was Valspar Water Based exterior spar urethane.. It's fuel resistant after it dried for a week or two. Polyrylic is NOT fuel resistant.. You can wipe the stuff off with 15% glow fuel even after it's dried for 2 weeks.
I know.. I tried it..

Now by fuel resistant I mean clean up any exhaust residue within a few hours of flying or the clear will start to get tacky.

There are fuel proof clear coats but I haven't tried them yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88254.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	768833  
Old 09-24-2007, 08:04 AM
flipstart

If this is your first fabric and paint job-I would suggest Solartex-use the natural so you can see all the internals as you cover, plus you will end up lighter by adding your own primer and paint. Solartex goes on easy, seams dissappear, be careful in shrinking, it can pull a wing out of shape. Prime-I use Rustoleum sandable primer-then paint-latex can be mixed at HD to any custom color or use any of the spray paints available. Overcoat with PU. Makes a one of a kind finish-on a Cub-it almost has to be fabric to look good. Good Luck.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:24 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with flipstart on this one. Not that other methods won't work but this is the easiest way to get a nice finish.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:59 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I just tried dope and dacron for the first time and loved it. ITs the old school way. Man, its cool.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:21 PM
lasko220v

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the good info! What does PV stand for as the final coat?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:10 AM
flipstart

PU-polyurethane varnish-available in spray can, satin, semmi, or gloss, Minwax is a good brand, I don't use the water base stuff, some do, but I want full leaded to make finish as fuel proof as possible.