Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel Spill

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:48 PM
rheauljj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Spill

I filled my tank today for what seemed to be longer than normal, only to notice the fuel leaking through the wing[:@][:@][:@]. I tugged at the exhaust line and it came out without any resistance...the fuel line to the exhaust had been cut . I suspect a kink in the line or a burr in the brass tubing.

I quickly removed the wing, tank and any other component that might have gotten in the way. I wiped everything and stuffed paper towels into the tank area to soak up any residual fuel. I've removed the paper towels after four hours and while they have an fuel odor, they weren't wet at all. Now that everything seems clean I'm concerned that the fuel that soaked in will do some damage to the glue joints.

What precautions should I make to prevent the residual fuel to do any harm to the wood?

Old 09-26-2007, 05:08 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Spill

what kind of glue was used in the build? if it was elmers you may have a concern..I'd check all the joints that were wet. Push here pull there if there isn't any movement you're ok
Old 09-26-2007, 07:43 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Spill

i'd be especially concerned with any joints that were done with CA.................nitro eats CA like it's going out of style.................as a matter of fact, Nitro is used to soften and remove CA.
i'd stuff the areas affected with paper towles soak with denatured alcohol, and do it several times to absorb and evaporate the fule and residues. then go back and check all glue joints.