Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Have you ever used Flaperons?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Have you ever used Flaperons?

Old 03-22-2003, 09:02 PM
v6goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ever used Flaperons?

Hi Guys...

I have a 1/8(ish) ARF F4U Corsair that i have installed a larger than reccomended engine to swing a larger prop in a more scale like fashion, and to cater for retracts and other bits and pieces.

It doesnt have flaps, and i have a feeling it is going to land pretty 'hot'. Im toying with the idea of using my Futaba 7UAPS's Flaperon mix function, and want to know if anyone has successfully used it on any plane, (any radio) and the details of your experience....

Thanks!!

Goose
Old 03-22-2003, 10:35 PM
v6goose

Default Err....

Err... and if you are a Futaba expert, maybe you can tell me how to do it. An hour with the manual and still no luck...

FYI... an aileron servo in each wing plugged into the receiver with a 'Y' lead.

Right... back to the manual.

Goose
Old 03-22-2003, 10:43 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Default flaparons?

Believe you are going to need to be hooked 1-6 w/o "Y" harness won't work otherwise...need computer radio and then mix rates. This may not work real well on a Corsair? I use it on funflys which makes them loop at high rates, If you try this go easy at first.....My 2 cents..
Old 03-22-2003, 11:10 PM
v6goose

Thanks Gizmo...

Thought as much. The radio can do it, but not in the configuration i have. Oh well, better get used to some high speed landings

Goose
Old 03-23-2003, 12:33 AM
Stick Jammer

Be careful on go-arounds with an over powered warbird. If you throttle up too quickly on an aborted approach it produces the dreaded death roll because of too much torque.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:56 AM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

i have used flaperons since 1974 in a twin engine wing derringer that used a kraft mechanical elevon/flaperon linkage.it worked fine on full span strip airlerons.let me due slow steep approaches with engines at 1/3-1/2 throtle.if i need to do an abort it was up flaps and plane was flying again also used slight flaps on take off for insurance if engine died.i would not use flaperons on a model that uses outboard style airlerons like the corsair .any down flap removes any built in wasout and could result in a nasty unexpected snap low and slow to the ground.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:56 AM
Ernie Misner

On my Futaba 6XA transmitter, the airbrake function is a slick way to make both ailerons droop a bit for landings. The standard way to do it is to use the silly knob on the radio which will make the ailerons go up or down. The knob is just too crazy to try to use while flying if you ask me. How would you ever know if you had things centered again??? So go the the airbrake function which will droop the ailerons a desired amount with the flip of a switch. It's either on or off. Perfect. It will even make the elevator go up or down a hair, depending on your plane, when drooping the ailerons.

Of course you have to have separate aileron servos and a computer radio. Don't try to droop them too much though because they still have to function as ailerons!

Ernie
Old 03-23-2003, 09:07 AM
v6goose

Thanks for all your feedback, very interesting.

I think i will give it a miss based on what you guys have said. The dreaded 'death roll'is something im wary of, and decreasing washout also seems like a really bad idea.

My F4U is scheduled for its maiden next weekend, so i will fire in some pix.

Cheers guys

Goose
Old 03-24-2003, 03:01 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Something else to consider is the extra wing loading with flapperons could cause a tip stall on landing. (Don't ask me how I know!)
Old 03-24-2003, 03:30 PM
Charlie P.

There is a lever-arm slip over attachment for that "silly knob" that you can set to bump against the transmitter case at full-up flaps. A lot easier than the indexing problem you noticed with the knob. If you lost, or never got, the arm you could get the same effect with a cotter pin after drilling a hole through the knob. Or, you could probably get a real one from Futaba.

The trade-off is you can't use them as spoilers if you set the arm to snub at full-up. Not a problem for me.