Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Joining Large Wings

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Joining Large Wings

Old 10-01-2007, 04:43 PM
flyhi
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining Large Wings

Got a wing with two 38" halves, total 76", it's an arf. says to glue the wing together with the usual wing joiner. now, my question, once you glue this thing, how do you keep pressure on the joint to get a good strong joint? need a heck of a clamp from tip to tip, so that's not it. do you use regular epoxy? thanks for any suggestions
Old 10-01-2007, 04:48 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Joining Large Wings

you can stand it on end with a weight on the top wingtip kind of up against the wall sort of thing.some wings have a tapered incidence in them so to speck the top has no incidence and is flat while the bottom has an incidence taper to it.what do the instructions recommend?i use 30 minute epoxy if everything fits right and won't take long to set up in position to setup.after that use 4 ounce glass cloth and epoxy to wrap the center section of the wing all the way around the center joint.two inch wide should be big enough
Old 10-01-2007, 05:04 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

I think there is a pretty easy way. Using 30 min epoxy to give yourself time, glue the necessary areas and pieces and slide it all together. Wipe off the excess epoxy and then attach masking tape from one wingtip to the other. The tape will only touch the wingtips on the top of a normal wing. Now if the joint is correct put some tape across the joint to hold everything in place. Finally tape wingtip to wingtip on the bottom of the wing. It will suprise you just how much pressure you can generate by taping from one wingtip to the other. Good Luck.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:12 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tip to tip clamping pressure is not needed when joining wings. If there is any dihedral, it will create a bending moment in the wing and disturb the desired dihedral angle.

Just join with 30 minute epoxy and jig it on the building board to the proper dihedral angle. Check that everything is aligned correctly several times. A few strips of masking tape across the joint will hold everything in place.

Dave
Old 10-01-2007, 06:26 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Masking tape actually works, but it's simpler to do than going wingtip to wingtip.

It stretches. And therein is the trick.

And epoxy doesn't need much pressure at all. So.............

When you've got the pieces together and cleaned up and aligned, start a short piece of masking tape on one half. Doesn't have to be very long. When you've got it started, pull some stretch into what's not stuck down, and bring it over the joint and down onto the other side. Then do the same on the other side to keep the tension equal top to bottom of the wing. Do pairs. However many seems right to you.

It's dead simple and works like gangbusters. And you don't need as much tape.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:44 PM
da Rock

Here's how to place short pieces of masking tape to put a wing joint under tension when joining two wing halves. Epoxy doesn't really need massive pressure. And this is quick, simple to do, and cheap.

1. You start on one side and stick enough tape to hold and then pull some tension into the tape ........
2. and holding the tension, press the other end of the tape down.........
3. Rub the tape down and.........

do some more strips.

The pieces can be whatever length seems right to you.

You'll have a gap to cross when doing the inside of a dihedral wing as in the pictures. Obviously, on the other side of that wing, you pull the tension and then simply pull across the joint.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51529.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	774431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41821.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	774432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs56941.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	774433  
Old 10-01-2007, 06:57 PM
flyhi
My Feedback: (28)

Thanks for everybody, fast, accurate info, don't you love this hobby anyway knew about the tape and use it for shorter wings and just assumed it would not be the best for this large wing. however, will do it. will use masking tape or is duct tape better? blue kind painter's tape? regular masking tape, say 1" wide?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 PM
da Rock

Hoo hah.......... No duct tape ! Sticks too hard.

Any kind of masking tape works. And width.

BTW, if you look closely at the pictures they show the only problem you have with the technique. If you pull too hard, your fingernails will suddenly elongate. And become polished. And clean. And your freckles will all disappear. Some things in this hobby you really got to be careful of.