Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Weight of Goldberg Super Chipmunk Wing?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Weight of Goldberg Super Chipmunk Wing?

Old 03-25-2003, 04:00 AM
JKos
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight of Goldberg Super Chipmunk Wing?

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone out there with a Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk with two aileron servos and stock fixed gear could weigh the wing and let me know the result.

Several years ago I bought a used Super Chipmunk which never quite flew 100% right. I likes to snap out of loops and has a nasty tip stall characteristic if you don't bring it in pretty hot when landing. It has a YS 91 AC for power... lots of power.

I always thought the wing felt heavier then it should be. I'm finally getting around to asking what others' wings weigh. The fuselage seems to be fine.

My wing weighs in at 2.8 lbs.

Thanks,
John Kos
Old 03-25-2003, 04:01 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is right at 2 pounds 3 1/2 Oz. I do not have two servos so yours does not sound that heavy. Mine will come in at a crawl. I have built 3 and so to be number 4. All have come in at the speed of a trainer. I would check the washout to see if you need some or at least to had more.

Dru.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:06 AM
JKos

Default Hmm...

Dru,
That makes my wing 26% heavier than yours. I think that is quite significant. That is much more difference than one servo which weighs, what, just over an ounce.

Mine definitely doesn't land like a trainer, that's for sure.

Anyone else have measurements?

Thanks,
John Kos
Old 03-26-2003, 02:13 AM
blvdbuzzard

What is the total weight of the plane. I can not give you mine because the fuse is in several pieces. Before the last one stopped flying it was at just over 9 pounds. All of mine landed slooooooooooooow. They would land with the tail wheel first and then the wings would rock back and forth untuil it finally stalled and then it would roll abour 3 feet or so.

With the snap with elevator it sounds like some thing is not right. Mine never did that and I had lots of throw. I will go look at the peices and try to come up with a weight of the fuse just to see how heavy it is. I was looking at the Chimunk fuse and compared it to the Curare fuse I am almost done with and it is almost 3 times the weight os the Curare.

Dru.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:25 AM
JKos

Default Pieces...

Dru,
Wish I could tell you the total plane weight. Like yours, mine is in pieces also. After the last crash several years ago due to the snapping problem, I gave up on the plane and put it on the shelf.

I had always thought about replacing the wing, but never was willing to spend more than half the price of a new kit for a replacement wing kit.

Oh well.

What engine(s) have you been using?

Thanks,
John
Old 03-26-2003, 05:35 AM
blvdbuzzard

I have flown this plane on a ST .61, ST 75, Webra 61, Fox .61, K&B 61, 65, O.S. 70fs, ST .46, ASP .61,.

I had fun with it on the K&B .65. It had a take off roll of 3 feet then a climb out of 80 degrees. That is enough power for me. After I got a new carb for the ASP it flew really nice. I never did get teh money for a nice 4stroker. I would like to do it with the Magnum 91 in the nose.

I think I am going to order a new kit from Tower. I think I am going to laminate 1/16 balsa with 1/64 ply between the balsa for the fuse sides, bottom, top, and bulk heads, instead of the 1/8 lite ply. If I had the plans I would just scratch build the two I need.

Dru.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:54 AM
Bruiser-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Wing Wieght

I wieghed my wing for you today. My wing is fully sheeted with 3/32 balsa, has flaps (one servo), and two aileron servos. The wieght includes the wheels, wheel pants, servos--everything just as it would be bolted on to the fuselage to fly. The all-up wieght was 2 3/4 pounds.

I can not tell you how it flies as it has never flown. I am just getting back into flying after a three-year break and I'm not quite up to flying it yet. During my break, I built, but did not fly.

-Bob George
Old 04-01-2003, 10:41 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

My wing weighs 2 pounds, 7 oz with two aileron servos and a flap servo. all standard size. The fuse weighs5 lbs 3 oz, for an all-up weight of 7lbs 10 oz. Flies great on an OS 91 surpass. I'm guessing that, unless your fuselage is way heavy, the problem may be something other than the weight, like a warp.