Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Smoke systems

Old 10-14-2007, 03:37 PM
vol4ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke systems

Anyone here do much with smoke systems? I'm wanting to possibly add one to a Midwest Super Hots with OS 61 FX. Do the Macs systems on Tower work?

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZ656&P=ML]Replacement muffler for O.S. 61FX[/link]

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZ674&P=M]Mac's Smoke System[/link]

I don't know how to decide between this type system or a pumped system. Comments?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Smoke systems

Hi vol4ever,

For smoke systems to work well you need high temperatures at the muffler. It is very difficult, if not impossible, to have a two stroke make smoke like a four stroke as the muffler is much hotter with the four stroke. Petrol (gas) powered motors have mufflers that are even hotter than four stroke methanol burners and make great smoke.

Sorry but unless you are going to repower the model I think you will be dissapointed with smoke using a two stroke although it is possible to preheat the fluid by running a couple of loops of copper tubing arounf the barrel of the motor, however the effort IMHO and experience still doesn't yield the results that are easily achieved with a four stroke, let alone a gasser.

Good Luck,

Colin