Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Nylon Covering

Old 03-26-2003, 02:01 AM
Ian-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nylon Covering

Does any oldtimer out there know where I can get the old fashioned nylon the is put on the aircraft with dope, I am not interested in using coverall or any of the new stuff. The nylon I am looking for you first wet it and then stretch it over the surface you want to cover and then dope it on. Flair in the UK is the only place I know of was wondering if I can get it in the USA.
Thanks Ian
Old 03-26-2003, 05:46 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Default Nylon Covering

I think you are looking for silk, don`t think it does any good to wet nylon. Silk now days is almost priced out of sight & mostly comes in one square yard packs.Might try SIG or K&S
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 03-26-2003, 02:53 PM
linclogs

Default Nylon Covering

Dave Brown's "Skyloft" is a continuous filament nylon. You wet it (in a pan of water) before you lay it out over the part to be covered. smooth it out and dope it down around the perimeter. Handles pretty much like silk after that.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:45 AM
propeller

Default RE: Nylon Covering

Hello
We do get Nylon here in Norway that we use the way you say, applying it completly wet, doping the wet nylon around the peripeter on a predoped airframe. It does indeed tighten up nicely even before the rest it is doped.
We have difficulties finding silk. Silk is perhaps lighter. Nylon is extremly strong. It is very easy to apply. I do not anderstand why people use heat shrink film/fabrics if they are to dope and paint anyway.

Jon
Old 10-15-2003, 09:13 AM
Rodney

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Aircraft Spruce and Specialty, they sell several weight of Ceconite which is the same stuff that is used on real planes. Their lightest weight is ideal for models. It does require a seperate glueing system (does not have an attached adhesive) and shrinks up well with heat.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:33 AM
rcalfred

If you are serious about using nylon, and aren't embarassed to do what I suggest, go to a fabric store and ask one of the nice sales ladies to show you to their nylon yard goods section. She will be more than happy to help. And will even take you to the lady that cuts however many yards you want off the bolt. You will be surprised to find how inexpensive it is. Regards.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:25 AM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

Aer you saying that Flair are the only producers or is the only place its available. Nylon, albeit Flair Nylon, is also svailable from Sussex models. One of the best methods for covering in my opinion for a long lasting finish.
BTW, yes, you do wet it before application and it can shrink very tight.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:51 AM
dhal22

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have seen threads where the builder uses nylon panty hose to cover a plane. stretch it on and epoxy it like you would fiberglass cloth. not that i've done that, it's just an idea i've seen here somewhere.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:53 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was given a T10 parachute one time when I was a kid. Needless to say I covered all my planes with rip stop nylon for a few years. It worked pretty much like silk.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:09 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dhal22

i have seen threads where the builder uses nylon panty hose to cover a plane.
I used the women's hose routine decades ago. Found the work to be inconsistant. The maufacturers make different weave or openings to the mesh. Some are course, some are fine, some at very open, some are tightly knitted. The smooth and tight mesh is best as it requires less doping. And is difficult to find today, but look for individual leg hosery, as usually one side of pantyhose is ruined.

Back in the 1960's there was an article in American Modeler on using hosery for airplanes. It mentioned that hosery does not shrink with water, so you must apply streching techniques. Hosery is DESIGNED not to shrink with water.

End result is that you come up with a very mean surface, one that easily takes poking and will not tear, but is difficult to repair also. Use only very sharp knifes to cut too.

Wm.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:23 AM
JohnBuckner

Its likely what you are remembering as nylon may have been one of these two: Silray or Silron from Sig and the defunct Royal products. I do not know of any current suppliers and much prefer modern products even for my vintage and nostalgia projects with no desire to go back.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43412.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	1135111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40950.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	1135112  
Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 AM
w8ye

Silk rots! and is extremely brittle after a few years

I had plane I covered in 1969 with Monokote with my wife's clothing iron. In 2005 I sold it and as far as I could tell the Monokote was still as good as new. The new owner took the plane right out and flew it.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 AM
JohnBuckner

Yup w8ye indeed I,ve no desire to go back even for nostalgia purposes
Old 02-14-2009, 11:04 AM
w8ye

The parachute nylon had a tight weave and the first coat of dope had to be real thin to get penetration
Old 02-14-2009, 11:59 AM
RCPAUL

As I recall, there was nylon, silron, silray, and a variety of silk (Esaki was the best) - including checkerboard. I still have some somewhere. You can get silk today for about $3 a yard at Thai Silk and other places but its shrinking abilities are a lot less than the old stuff. The nylon in the stores maybe quite heavy - I'd do an Internet search for light nylon. I've heard that the kite folks use some light nylon but am not really up on it. If I remember correctly, most paints don't really stick to nylon so you have to put enough on that the paint (dope) encapsulates the fibers.

Paul
Old 02-14-2009, 12:23 PM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Check out Aircraft Spruce and Specialty, they sell several weight of Ceconite which is the same stuff that is used on real planes. Their lightest weight is ideal for models. It does require a seperate glueing system (does not have an attached adhesive) and shrinks up well with heat.
F&M Enterprizes has all the stuff you need to cover and paint a model plane in fabric, They sell the "Stits" system of covering products. They have a special "lite" weave Stits polyfiber that is just the right thing for model aircraft.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:29 PM
w8ye

F&M is Stits

Site is rather helter skelter?

http://www.stits.com/store/index.html
Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 AM
sotonflyer

Hi,

I have used nylon, and just about every model covering product, for over 35 years. In my view nylon gives the best results of ANY covering material. It does not go brittle, does not lift under the heat of the sun, and makes the finished structure very, very strong. Of course you have to put up with the smell of dope, but I like it! And I wait for a nice day and cover outside. The other outstanding feature is it's ability yo go around compound curves. I regularly cover a whole fuselage in just one piece of nylon.

The problem today is getting hold of the stuff. The only modern nylon I have found - from Flair or from a dress shop - is of rather thick grade. In the past you could get what was called 'lightweight' nylon. This was much better as it was lighter (required less dope too) and was fine for covering models up to 60-70 inch span. I have managed to get some lightweight nylon off eBay. However, at the moment the only lightweight stuff that I have left is coloured blue. The packet (which was un-opened) was dated 1967 and it's still in perfect condition! I have used this type of nylon to cover 1/2A models of 30-36 inch span and the finished weight is no more than something like Solarfilm, and the models are just about indestructible.

Another method for vintage models that I have tried is tissue over polyester tissue (polyspan ). Results so far have been very good - looks exactly like tissue but a strong as a fabric covering. very light too.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 PM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

MMmm. I never had thought that getting it was going to be so difficult. Seems like another little obstacle to overcome
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Lnewqban

sotonflyer:

How do you attach or glue the nylon to the wood frame?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 AM
ntsmith

The surface is "filled" with sanding sealer. (basically a non shrinking cellulose dope with a fine pigment to fill the pores) and then the nylon is dipped in warm water and wrung out to get rid of the excess. Finally the nylon is atached with dope and the wrinkles pulled out. It becomes taught after it has dried and a usualy thinned coat of dope is applied all over. Its thinned because you want penetration and it can tighten considerably more than your usual plastic "toy" coverings.