Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 been away for 12 years >

been away for 12 years

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

been away for 12 years

Old 10-14-2007, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default been away for 12 years

looking for some help......
i've been away from the r/c scene for about 12 years or so and am loooking forward to flying again. i still have my planes and a couple of kits i'm going to build , even though there pretty old. i guess my old futaba radios are probably to old to use, at the very least i would need all new batteries. seems to me that they were all gold cert'ed but my memory is not what it used to be if you know what i mean, and i'm not sure what the standard is now a days. any info would help me in getting back into the flow of things. for now i'm trying to read up in the forums that i can find......this is definatly one of the better ones out there...
thanks in advance!
Joe
Old 10-14-2007, 10:29 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: been away for 12 years

Welcome back

As long as those 12 year old batteries didn't destroy the radios over time by corosion or leaking the radios COULD be OK but I would have em checked out by the manufacturer. Cheaper than crashing Also check your conecters with a magnifying glass for corosion its hard to see on small wires but that can BITE YA[:@] I would trash all the old batteries and go on line to one of the discount battery shops for replacements.
I also took several years away from the hobby and returned..... the one thing I SHOULD have done first is get new glasses.
I ended up getting a new trainer and new glasses[>:]
Old 10-15-2007, 04:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: zbo2
i guess my old futaba radios are probably to old to use, at the very least i would need all new batteries. seems to me that they were all gold cert'ed but my memory is not what it used to be if you know what i mean, and i'm not sure what the standard is now a days. any info would help me
Joe
Gold certified radios often have a sticker on them that shows they've been reworked to the new standards. Look on the back of the TXs for a gold sticker.

Maybe someone else can give you advice on your receivers. When I got back in after a longer layoff than yours, none of my TXs could be converted, and none of the receivers were usable. So I got no idea about TXs. I simply bought a new system that had a TX that had memory for lots of different airplanes and started picking up RXs for my other airplanes.

Hey, I think the R/C industry knew a bunch of us old guys were one of their best markets and they were smart enough to give the transmitters GOOD MEMORY.

BTW, if you wind up buying a new radio, look at JRs because then you don't have to remember what the channel numbers stand for. JR's call the rudder channel, "rudder", not some number you gotta remember...... chuckle......
Old 10-15-2007, 05:02 PM

sent you an email
Old 10-15-2007, 06:43 PM
My Feedback: (7)

1. Get those old batts out of your equipment. planes and transmitters both. Check for corrosion/leakage.
2. Find a club near you(if at all possible) and see if you can find someone to help "modernize" you. This person can help you identify whether you can use your old radios or not. Any that have the gold sticker can still be flown with thier original recievers. Transmitters had to be narrow-banded, not recievers.
3. Order new batts for the equipment that's still good. Old ones are almost surely junk.
4. Fly on what you have for now so you can take your time while re-educating yourself about what is currently available.
Yes I know some will disagree with me about flying the old radios, saying that todays stuff is much more reliable and immune to interference. For the most part they will be right. However, just because it is old doesn't mean it's unusable, and I still fly a couple of radios from that era with complete confidence. This will just give you time to make a more informed decision before re-vamping everything(and possibly save you some money in the long run). JMO
Old 10-16-2007, 04:58 PM

Deleted
Old 10-16-2007, 05:03 PM

My Ace radio was gold stickered back in 1991, and I still fly 2 planes with it 2 -4 times a week depending on weather. Batteries have been updated as required.
feihu
Old 10-16-2007, 05:24 PM

hey.......
thanks for all the responses.........
i have all futaba radios:
i have 2- 6 channel, 1- 5 channel and 2- 7 channel. the model numbers are
FP-T7FG/K with the 7 being the channel amount. these are all FM banded with
a gold sticker on the back that says: R/CMS AMA RF CHECK MAR 1991.
i also have an 8 channel, it's a PCM the model number is FP-T8SGA-P it also
has the same sticker on the rear of the radio.

the receivers that i could get to in my planes for the non-PCM radios all
seem to be FP-R127DF FM and they say dual conversion on them. i have yet to
locate the receiver for the PCM radio.
what really stinks is that i put all new batteries in these radios several
years ago and them never got the chance to fly again. since they were never
used and stored inside, all the ones that i have checked (the batteries) are like brand new.
i'm going to have to get all new batteries again....but at least they are way cheeper than
they were before. i looked at the Futaba website and it looks like they still sell that same receiver
so i think that i'm good to go. now i just have to get the planes and radio's all checked out, get some new fuel etc.
on thing i noticed is that even though i lubed up the motors really well when i knew i wasn't going to be flying
for a while they are a little tight turning over almost like they are gummed up. i'm gonna take a little marvel mystery
oil and see if i can un-gum them. any suggestions along this line? the one that really concerns me is a 1.2 surpass in an
aeromaster bi-plane that motor really rocked.
let me know what you think.
thanks again
Joe
Old 10-16-2007, 05:43 PM
My Feedback: (7)

A little gummed up should be no problem as long as there is no rust inside your engines. You may want to pull the rocker cover on the 4-stroke once you get it spinning better to make sure the valves/lifters are doing thier thing b4 attempting to run it. Would be very frustrating to be at field trying to start with a valve stuck open.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:51 PM

Zbo,

I just got back into the hobby 'seriously' after about 12 years of sitting on the sidelines, flying once or twice a year. Seemed I replaced batteries every year. I too had a couple of gummed up engines that had been sitting for better than 15 years (OS 40 Supass, and an OS 25 FP 2stroke). I got them cleared by soaking them in rubbing alcohol for a couple of hours, then tearing them down and cleaning everything part by part. When I put them back together, I applied afterrun oil liberally. Both engines now run great with a new plug in them. I did replace the bearings in the .40, (all of $11), just because they were making noise, but the engine still pulled great. Your old radios should still be good, but you may want to get them checked just to make sure they are in tune.
Welcome back to the fun.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:54 PM

alcohol will degumm better and faster,usually it is old oil that cause this some new fuel squited in the carb and exhust should free them up except for the four stroke take off the roker covers and make sure that they go up and down and are not stuck open,squirt some fuel on the pivot and down the lifter tubes .
Old 10-16-2007, 09:23 PM

just fire that bad boy up! it will definitely loosen up with a little run time! one tank of fuel and she'll be like new!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:41 PM

Never try to start a gummed up engine!!! if it's severely gummed, and you hit it with a starter, you're bound to damage something internally. Also, all that gum goes somewhere, not necessarily out of the exhaust. Trust me, clean the engine first.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:40 PM

no way i'd fire them up without cleaning........besides, as i suspected the fuel tanks had some green slime in them. i've cleaned 2 of the engines. took no time at all. the fuel tanks however are another story.....only have 1 of those cleaned up sp far. 5 planes is gonna take a while. going to go get some fuel tomorrow so i can fire them up as i get them cleaned.....just to keep me motivated. something to do while i wait for the batteries to arrive.