Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 shipping a plane >

shipping a plane

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

shipping a plane

Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shipping a plane

HI -- I need to sell my trainer plane but nobody is interested at my local field. I am debating putting it on ebay but I think shipping it would be a real pain and expensive. however it seems that plenty of people are shipping ready to fly airframes. I could use some help. The plane is a superstar 40. So I would have a wing about 5 ft long and an assembled fuse about 4 ft long. So how do most people accomplish this. I am thinking that it may not be cost effictive for the either party involved. I do plan on selling as a RTF unit though.

Thanks,
Old 10-15-2007, 08:44 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: shipping a plane

You're right. It's not cost effective in most cases. The best way to save on shipping huge items is the little known and rarely used Greyhound shipping service. I used it to ship a 1/5 scales mustang with a one piece wing. The box was over 80" long, and weighed about 20 lbs. UPS wanted around $270 to ship it freight, and Greyhound took it for around $50. There are drawbacks though. You make your own box, there is no tracking system, you have to make the crate strong enough to be run over by a fork lift, because it might be. You have to drop it off at a greyhound bus stop, and the other party must pick it up in person at one of the somewhat limited destinations. Customer service is almost non existant, and their insurance setup is shady at best. I wouldn't go that route if you can avoid it, but there are times when that's the best option available. It's usually comparitavely cheap, but you kind of get what you pay for there. The best thing you can do is make your own box for it, and take it to a shipper's store and get them to quote a price. A .40 sized trainer might not cost so much to ship that you have to look at freight shipping. Most people just specify local pick up only on internet sales.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:49 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Try selling it through the local hobby shop.

A few shops I frequent have planes hanging from the celieling, with price tags attached..
Old 10-16-2007, 12:05 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tester423

HI -- I need to sell my trainer plane <<snip>>
Thanks,
Need? What is the need?

If you're done with it, donate it to the club, they can auction it off.

If it's that you need the money... good luck.

If it's that you need the space, donate it to the club.

If it's that you don't need the plane.... donate it. I think if you manage to sell this plane, you'll find the effort you put into selling it is not proportionally rewarded by the proceeds.

Engine and radio are another matter, but you could probably get as much for them separate from the plane as you would for the RTF assembly. And, you can ship the engine & radio equipment separately. And you could still donate the plane.

Just my 2ΒΆ worth,
Dave Olson
Old 10-16-2007, 12:56 PM
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cost of shipping oversize boxes, and containers, has gone up drasticly in the last 6-8 months. I buy and sell a lot of stuff on E-Bay, RCU & locally, and generally try to avoid completed models because of the shipping cost. Greyhound is, as stated above, about the most cost effective, however their rates have gone up as well.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:40 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Another note on greyhound shipping. Your package will always be secondary to passenger baggage. It could see major delays enroute if baggage load are large. I have used it successfully once but from what I've heard, I wouldn't trust it again.