Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 Flying with twin engines >

Flying with twin engines

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flying with twin engines

Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 PM
My Feedback: (188)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying with twin engines

I want to begin flying twin engine aircraft and would like some input from some seasoned pilots. I just bought an 85" F7F that I would like to get airborne someday but know I can't start out with that. I was thinking about starting out with the Hobbico Twinstar to get a feel of flying with two engines. Any suggestions????
Old 10-16-2007, 07:57 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flying with twin engines

Boxbeam,

1. There is a Twin Forum. That's the place to get a lot of answers.

2. Depending on your flying skills, there are 3 good ARF twins available. TwinStar, Cedar Hobbies Twin Stick, Hangar 9 Dual Ace. I have owned all 3 and flown then a lot.

The TwinStar is a Hobbico trainer twin. It is for smaller engines.
-The fuel tank is small, around 3 1/2-4 oz. A .46 won't last long on that tank so a .25-.32 is about the largest practicel engine. The Twin Forum Moderator, Robby Newton has made longer nacelles and used larger tanks.
-The TwinStar has fairly small controls so don't expect more than basic aerobatics. I put wider ailerons on mine and now have it on floats.
-The covering and trim peels off. Iron all you want, it peels off.

The Twin Stick is an ARF that needs a lot of extra work so it hangs together, more glue, etc.
-Needs more epoxy on the nacelles.
-It is very aerobatic, snaps spins, flat spins. Big controls. Does great outsides.
-Builds very nose heavy with .46s. I moved servos to the rear.
-Weak landing gear-I replaced mine.

The Dual Ace is an excellent kit
-It does pattern style aerobatics.
-The cowls are a pain to get on correct.
-It does land a little faster than the other 2.
-More expensive than the other 2.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 PM
My Feedback: (188)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ed, I'll head over to the twin forum. Maybe the moderator should delete or move this thread.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: boxbeam

Thanks Ed, I'll head over to the twin forum. Maybe the moderator should delete or move this thread.

But before he does...............

There have been a couple of articles in the model magazines recently that talk in detail about twins. One magazine devotes almost all it's reviews and info articles in one issue to twins. And about half of them explain the latest ideas about using today's radios to setup the throttles. Throttle strategy is the foremost killer of most twins and always has been. And today, there are ways to stomp out those problems. Matter of fact, one artilce shows how to setup the throttles to help steer the airplane on taxi. No kidding! Steer out to the runway with the engines helping.