Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Edge gluing sheeting

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Edge gluing sheeting

Old 10-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Edge gluing sheeting

I am in the process of scratching a plane. The plans call for sheeting the fuselage with 1/16" balsa and the wing and tail surfaces with 1/32" balsa.

I have edge glued 1/16" balsa before with no problems, however I am a little concerned about the 1/32" balsa.
I have never tried edge glueing 1/32" before. I usually use either WATERPROOF Elmer's yellow glue or WATERPROOF TiteBond for edge gluing.

Due to the thickness, am I going to have a problem with a very stiff glue joint and/or separation of the glue joint when I wet the balsa down ?

If I am going to have a problem, can anyone suggest a better glue to use for the edge gluing (no CA please ).

Thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 09:33 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Edge gluing sheeting

Check out Paul Johnson's website www.airfieldmodels.com He has a section on glues. As I recall, he uses Ambroid glue for edge gluing sheets. Primarily for it's ease of sanding. Personally, I like original Titebond glue over the waterproof Titebond.

Scott
Old 10-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

The link works, HOWEVER, when you click on ANY of the articles you get, "This Document Contains No Data".
Old 10-20-2007, 12:08 PM
saramos

Try again, I just went to the site and was able to navigate without problem.

Scott
Old 10-20-2007, 12:13 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Here's a link directly to the edge joining article. http://tinyurl.com/2j2sqh

Dave
Old 10-21-2007, 06:32 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Tigtbod Origional. Lay the sheets together and run masking tape down the seam to hold the two sheets together. Turn them over, bend slightly at the glue line and apply a modest bead of glue. Press the sheet flat on your table and wipe away the exces glue. Run a bead of tape over joint, weight the sheeting down to prevent bowing and let cure. Hope this helps.

JEB
Old 10-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Birman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bruce Tharpe recommended a way for his Venture 60 kit using thin CA. Lay down a piece of glass. Spray accellerator on the glass along the line where you will join the balsa together. Place the blasa on the accellerator and hold firmly together while applying the thin CA. The accellerator on the opposite side will cure the CA instantly with just about no trace of CA on the accellerator side. This method was used to join balsa that was applied around curved formers. Try it on some scrap balsa.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:56 AM
summerwind

another vote for the Ambroid glue........been using it for 45 years, and it is by far the best way to edge glue thin balsa sheets together...........remember, us oldtimers use to build entire models with this stuff, and were all members of the "glue chewing" fraternity

much easier to sand out than CA's