Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Koverall and Dope

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Koverall and Dope

Old 10-20-2007, 07:00 PM
DaveB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koverall and Dope

After building many planes over the years and covering them with either Monokote or Century 21 fabric, I am considering trying out Koverall and dope and then painting. Problem is, I really don't know what is needed in the way of equipment, i.e. spray gun, compressor, and the various dopes needed for a good finish. And most importantly, the procedure from prep to finish.

Any recommendations or comments appreciated.

Thanks,

DaveB
AMA 227407

Old 10-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Koverall and Dope

There are many threads in this forum and others dealing with Koverall and dope finishes. There is normally something in the Vintage and Antique forum (WACO YMF) as well as in the kit building forum.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-21-2007, 06:27 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on my second this season using the Sig Koveral and Acrylic latex paints. I use the wood sealer from Michael's Craft stores called Hodge Podge. Seal the wood first, lightly sand when dry and then use Sig Stix-it and a Monocoat trim iron to atatch the fabric. When dry trim with sharp sissors and apply more covering using Stix-it. When the covering is completed shrink. Two coats of thinned Hodge Podge seals the fabric and your ready for a light sanding and paint. Do a search and you will find another method of using Minwax Polycrylic (water based poly) that works very well.

JEB
Old 10-21-2007, 09:37 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: DaveB

I am considering trying out Koverall and dope and then painting. Problem is, I really don't know what is needed in the way of equipment, i.e. spray gun, compressor, and the various dopes needed for a good finish. And most importantly, the procedure from prep to finish.

Any recommendations or comments appreciated.

Thanks,

DaveB
AMA 227407
Once you've tried Koverall (or other polyester fabrics) and see what kind of finish you can achieve, you'll never go back. As the Master Chief said above, look through the 200-odd pages of the YMF build on the Antiques forum, there are several tutorials there. You should also check out www.stits.com and look at the Stits process.

I don't think you really need a spray gun or compressor; I have always brushed my dope, I think you get better penetration into the fabric, and unless you're doing some kind of custom paint job, spray bombs have always worked for me. A nice airbrush might be handy for color coats, trim and weathering details, though.

The types of dope (brands) depend on what is available to you, but nitrate is what you need for the basic application and filling of the weave. What you do need is a nice pair of scissors that you can keep razor sharp (I use a pair of Wiss upholsterer's shears) and a covering iron that you can regulate the temperature very well. Heat gun is not needed or recommended, as you can't regulate the temp. with one.