Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

wing warp

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:38 AM
jlander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing warp

I've searched this forum on warped wings and found that spraying the wing down with Windex and pinning it down on your building board with the opposite warp can cancel out the warp. I'm in the process of doing this now.

My problem and question is this... My left wing's leading edge is between 3/16" and 1/4" higher than the trailing edge when put flat on my building board. I have not yet sheeted the bottom of the leading edge. If the Windex does not work, can the warp be canceled out when I glue this on? Incidentally, the plane is a GP Protege.

It does not take much force at all to bring the wing down flat now. I’m sure that when I cover it, I can get the warp out then, but I’d like to take care of it now.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: wing warp

I suggest to try and remove as much of the warp as possible through wetting of the wing and pinning/weighting in place until dry FIRST.

When you add your leading edge/trailing edge sheeting you can remove the remainder of the warp. You will need to pin/weight the wing down while the sheeting is drying. The reason for removing as much warp as possible by wetting first is so there is less torsional strain on the wing and the sheeting.

Check your plans BEFORE doing the sheeting. I am not familiar with the Protege, however, some planes require some washout (typically a shim placed under part of the trailing edge while sheeting ) to be built into the wing.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had very little success wetting and weighting balsa to remove warp. Sheeting is a good way to put a warp in or take it out.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:26 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have not yet sheeted the bottom, don't worry about it.

But make SURE that it is held flat when you DO sheet the bottom