Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tiger 2 Taildragger Conversion

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tiger 2 Taildragger Conversion

Old 03-28-2003, 05:33 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger 2 Taildragger Conversion

I'm in the process of converting my Tiger 2 ARF from a trike to a taildragger.....I have purchased the "Klett" 40 sized main gear, and it's perfect, but what tailwheel setup should I use? I don't want to un-hinge the rudder and have to re-hinge it. Has somebody done this conversion before?

thanks,
Mike
Old 03-28-2003, 05:57 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try this one.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFV47&P=7

You can let it castor or pivot free or hook springs for steering. Works well.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:07 PM
glowplug

Flyboy,
Thanks. I actually just found that one a few minutes ago too.....looks pretty good.....that one is definitely on my list.....

Mike
Old 04-23-2003, 02:10 PM
pjwright

Second the motion on the Sullivan tailgear, Mike. I "inherited" a Tiger 2 that is in the process of being rebuilt as a tail dragger. I was gonna bend some 5/32 m.w. for the mains, and reposition the LG brackets in the wing. Found an oop wing kit for the Tiger 2 at the SE Model Expo which put the project back on go. The Goldberg factory is 25 minutes away, where I can pick up a new canopy (this baby had been *thoroughly* "re-kitted"!).
;-)
Old 04-23-2003, 02:59 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Default Klett Tailwheel

I used the Klett tailwheel assembly. Ran a Sullivan golden rod from the rudder servo to the tailwheel tiller. Real easy to do.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:44 PM
glowplug

I actually picked up an "Ohio Superstar Products" tailwheel assembly at the Toledo show. It's similar to the Klett setup. I used the springs to attach to control horns on the rudder. It worked out well. Thanks for the input guys!

Mike
Old 04-25-2003, 04:15 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite is the Sig leaf spring unit. I use a larger one on my Midwest Extra, a really jazzy unit.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:29 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Default Tiger Taildragger

Hey Guys, do you need to relocate the main landing gear to constuct the taildragger version of the Tiger? Help.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:18 AM
glowplug

Yes, you do........I used a 40-60 sized "Klett" fiberglass main gear that mounted to the fuselage. I have one of the Tiger 2 ARF's that was produced before Lanier took over Goldberg....and mine already had blind nuts on the fuse to mount the main gear.

Mike
Old 04-28-2003, 09:27 AM
redtail

Default Tiger Taildragger

Thanks Mike. I'm thinking that I can hog out some of the torque support and swing the main gear forward so that the main wheels would sit in front of the main spar thus ahead of the CG and still get enough ground clearance for the prop. I will follow your lead if it doesn't work out my way. Chic
Old 04-28-2003, 05:27 PM
glowplug

Chic, it should work just fine like that too.....if you go the other route, and need to know where the gear is mounted on the fuse, I can take a measurment for you.

Mike
Old 04-28-2003, 11:07 PM
redtail

Thanks Mike, will try my way and if not sufficient, will contact you for measurements. Chic
Old 04-29-2003, 02:20 PM
GoMike

Hey Redtail -

I converted my Tiger2 to a tail-dragger. I moved the main LG blocks forward of the wing spar. If you don't, you'll have to lean the gear waaaay forward to get the axles under the wing LE where they belong. If you don't get the axles that far forward, you may have a problem with the airplane tipping forward, especially if you're on a grass landing strip. I had that experience with another plane until I got the axles under the wing LE.

Good luck with it.

GoMike
Old 04-29-2003, 06:55 PM
airwethead

I did the same as GoMike. I built mine from a kit, so it was easy to build the wing with the main gear mounting blocks in front of the spar instead of behind it. I used a Du-bro tailwheel assembly. Since the rudder hinge line is on a slight angle to the bottom of the fuse, I built a balsa and ply "wedge" to mount the tailgear to, so that the tailwheel assembly pivots on a perfect 90 degrees to the hinge line. Then I just ran the arm of the tailwheel along the bottom of the rudder and screwed it on. It has worked flawlessly for over a year now. Pics and advice if anyone wants them.