Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Trainer radio setups

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Trainer radio setups

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:46 PM
crasherboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trainer radio setups

Can someone out there enlighten me a little on trainer cords in the Futaba AM [FG series]. I have three radios that work1 6 ch 2 7 ch.
I have a factory made trainer cord. I connect the 6 ch to the 7 ch ,when I pull the trainer switch nothing happens from the other tx[no control from the other ]. I connected the two 7 ch rigs together and when I pull the trainer switch the whole thing goes crazy. All three tx work okay by them selves. I was told at the local hobby shop that Futaba is sometimes a big problem getting them to work.
And I don't see any thing to suggest they have been fiddled with as far as the wiring. What gives with them?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:56 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Trainer radio setups

I have never had issue's with the Futaba trainer cords and buddy boxes. The newer radio's are using the square plug, while the older one's used 5 and 6 pin round plugs. I think they have a 6 pin round to the new square plug. Your buddy box never get turns on as far as the power goes. You may have to reverse some of the channels on the buddy box and set all the trims correctly and you should be good to go. Not sure what is causing your problem. If you cannot get it figured out, might want to consider getting the transmitters checked out. Good Luck, Dave
Old 10-30-2007, 02:24 AM
crasherboy

Do you mean that the settings are to be the same on both units? I had thought of that,and I don't think the manuals say anything about that except that the buddy box stays off. Of course I can see where the servo directions and the end travel would have to match. Like I said though, each radio works good by itself. I wish I had a schematic of the radios ,then I could see more of what the problem is. I have been told that JR has the same cord from a to z and is a lot easier to set up.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:49 AM
jetmech05

how old are your radios?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:52 AM
crasherboy

I bought them in the late eighties! New batteries in the controling unit,I am using it at this time. I just checked the servo direction setting,both on normal. Maybe there is a problem with one of the units. Another one I tried it with ,everything just went crazy. I could that the servo settings were mixed up on that one ,will try it again when I get it back together again[a little repair I am doing].
Old 10-30-2007, 07:59 AM
crasherboy

Another thought,do both units have to be of the same chanel number, as in both units being 7 chanel or six .?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:41 AM
jetmech05

channel makes no difference..the reason I'm asking about the age of your units is sometime in the 80's they changed something in the radios which may make your buddy cords work incorrectly..perhaps someone with a better memory will know about this change