Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

servo arm screw almost stripped

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

servo arm screw almost stripped

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:41 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default servo arm screw almost stripped

Is there anyway to prevent the servo arm screw from stripping out. Would loctite deteriorate the plastic or cause it to crack? Ive got a servo that if I try to tighten it anymore I just know it will strip (you know the feeling).Its the elevator servo and I dont need that servo to let go.

Thanks Guys---JIM
Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: servo arm screw almost stripped

ORIGINAL: georgegeorge

Is there anyway to prevent the servo arm screw from stripping out. Would loctite deteriorate the plastic or cause it to crack? Ive got a servo that if I try to tighten it anymore I just know it will strip (you know the feeling).Its the elevator servo and I dont need that servo to let go.

Thanks Guys---JIM

Well...................

The servo arm should be more than adequately attached to the servo gear by the teeth that both have. The screw really does not encounter much force at all, ever. If the pushrod is so out of alignment that the screw ever sees any force, the airplane is really screwed up.

So don't worry about tightening that screw beyond hand tight.

Do not loctite the sucker. And don't worry about it.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:04 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at every crashed airplane you can. Look at every servo and check the arms. They're broken off when they show anything at all. Or the servo gears are stripped.

Some years back a buddy crashed his old favorite. He hadn't done a thing to it since he built it from scratch years before. When we were doing the autopsy, we noticed that a couple of his servo's had missing arm hold-down screws. There was dust in the holes.

Keep in mind that if you have a pushrod support or two, and one of them is near the servo especially, the servo arm will never see any force in a direction that would tend to lift the arm.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're stripping servo arm screws, you're tightening them too much. Only a snug tightening is necessary, since the splines hold the arm in place. You need to replace the output shaft on that servo, though. A new gear set will do it.

Dr.1
Old 10-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loctite is known to soften up the plastic and the shaft will just shear off completely.

I am with da rock, you dont need to torque down that screw hard at all. The screw in the nylon shaft tends to fit in nicely and I personally have never seen one vibrate out (although I am sure it is possible). Its good pratice to go over clevises, screws, etc every now and then to find any loose screws or linkages. Generally you can catch most potential problems before they are disasters.

Snug the screw down with minimal force and unless you have a ton of binding in the linkage you are not going to have a problem with it.