Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Monokote Question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Monokote Question

Old 11-05-2007, 08:32 PM
starfire73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote Question

I have about 10 or so flights on my Eagel 2 kit. I did the monokote myself, and this was my first time. I've noticed though that ever since the second or third flight, I'm having a heck of a time keeping my trim pieces on the covering. I used Monokote, Neon Green to cover the plane, then trimmed it in Metallic Blue Monokote. It keeps noticeably lifting a various edges, and some of the smaller peices have totaly come off. I've tried re-ironing them back down, but they've lifted again. I've tried a higher temp, a lower temp...

What am I doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65296.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	797853  
Old 11-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Campgems

Default RE: Monokote Question

Maybe using windex with amonia to clean the plane. I just found out that it was desolving the adheasive. DUHH, I've been using it to put down the trim and never thought about it lifting the edges.

Iron the edges again and then use a Qtip dampened with Aceton and lightly go over all the edges. This will seal down a bit better than the iron will. Watch though bucause if you have a little wrinkel along the edge, the stuff wicks under. I saw this and tried to press it down. THe adheasive is also the color for most of the Monokote colors. All the color went away where I touched it. You can also use a very fine capilary tube or pipette to seal the edge with CA.

Nice trim and color combo on the plane.

Don
Old 11-05-2007, 08:50 PM
skreamer
My Feedback: (5)

I like to use Monokote trim solvent instead of the iron for trim pieces. No bubbles and I have time to position my pieces. Cheap and a bottle lasts a lonnnng time.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 PM
starfire73

ORIGINAL: skreamer

I like to use Monokote trim solvent instead of the iron for trim pieces. No bubbles and I have time to position my pieces. Cheap and a bottle lasts a lonnnng time.
Hmmm... I'll have to give that some thought. It has better hold than the heat activated adhesive on the monokote itself?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 PM
starfire73

ORIGINAL: Campgems

Maybe using windex with amonia to clean the plane. I just found out that it was desolving the adheasive. DUHH, I've been using it to put down the trim and never thought about it lifting the edges.
I haven't been using windex, or any glass cleaner/ammonia product.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:21 PM
spiral_72

You've never lost that plane have you? WOW that's bright! [X(]
Old 11-06-2007, 03:57 PM
starfire73

ORIGINAL: spiral_72

You've never lost that plane have you? WOW that's bright! [X(]

No she stands out pretty good. The thing I like about it, is that it stands out in any sky condition. Cloudy, clear, low light - either way it's easy to see.