Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Home-made Flying Wires?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Home-made Flying Wires?

Old 04-01-2003, 06:23 AM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home-made Flying Wires?

Does anyone know of some methods that I can use to make some home-made flying wires? I was looking at the sullivan flying wire kit, which is $20 , and my buddies say that there are ways to make them myself. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks for your help again!

-Brian
Old 04-01-2003, 06:46 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default homemade flying wires

I have built over a dozen large scale planes that needed flying wires to brace the tail and a few bi-planes that I put flying wires on the wings for a scale look.

All I did was to by some bulk packs of Dubro or Great planes tierod ends that fit 2-56 rod, the treaded ones! they hold better.
Then I went down to the fishing store and bought some nylon 90Lb. line, they also have coated stainless cable.
Then I use CA to glue the line in the tie rod end. I screw it on and glue it. They have never come apart and some are 18 years old!

Recently I have also use Proctors turn buckles, these do cost more, but they sure look good on a old bi-plane.

good luck!
Old 04-23-2003, 01:54 PM
pjwright

I recall reading an article where (Ziroli?) used some plastic lacing material - the stuff we used to make ornamental belts at camp, etc. - in a silver color for "flying wires", Brian. Too stretchy to be functional (like the pricey Sullivan kit), but approximates the oval appearance of the prototype if you are only going for stand-off scale looks.
pjw
Old 04-23-2003, 06:00 PM
Someone11-RCU

What types of wire would I use? What I mean is would I use kevlar or cable. For example the sullivan offers 2 choices in their flying wires kit... which would you use?

Thanks for all of your help... I can't thank you enough for all the tips, tricks, and advise that I've received here at RCU!!!

-Brian
Old 04-24-2003, 01:06 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

I have been doing flying and landing wires on different size scale aircraft for over 30 years. There are a lot of ways to get the job done from fishing leader to hard wire . It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. Also the size of the aircraft you are putting the wires on. Are the wires going to be functional or just decorative. Let me know what your trying to achieve and I probably have a way to get the job completed .
Full scale aircraft use many kinds of flying wires. How scale do you want it to look ?
PS I agree $20 for a kit that does a few wires is out of line.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:59 AM
Someone11-RCU

GP Extra 300s 40 size kit. r1morris, I plan on using them for structural support. Thanks for your help!

-Brian
Old 04-25-2003, 03:00 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Default Simple cheap flying wires

For 40 to 60 size aircraft I found the following method works well and once in place and adjusted never needs attention.

I use 1/16 K$S piano wire on one end I use a solder type clevis on the other a solder type threaded coupler and a standard metal threaded clevis. As shown I cut away the pin side of the clevis and drill the hole side to accommodate 2/56 threaded rod.

I mount the threaded rod into a hardwood or plywood block then the block is mounted and epoxied into the surface where the wire will attach to. Best done before covering.

If you want to make the installation simpler you can use Goldberg threaded control rod it is a true 1/16. The solder type clevis fits on the non-threaded end perfectly.
Other manufacturer's do not use true 1/16 rod.
I like the piano wire method best as it will not bend. The threaded control rod can bend if bumped the wrong way.

I use #2 castle nuts to mount the clevis ends to the 2/56 threaded rod at the attach points. If you want to be a bit fancy once adjusted and fit the wires can be removed and painted to give a nice effect.

Hope this is what you were looking for
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	73600_8474.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	40913  
Old 04-25-2003, 03:05 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Fishing line and rigging couplers work great if you're not worried about scale appearance.....
Old 04-25-2003, 06:38 PM
Jim Messer

I have been using weed eater chord for several years now. One end fastened securely, and the other end with a small hook. you can stretch the wire when assembling the airplane, and they stay drum tight all the time. On large planes like my 1/3 scale Bristol Scout, I use .080 diameter. Smaller models use .065 or .050 dia. Attached is a photo of my Bristol that shows the flying wires to some degree. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	73651_3061.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	40914  
Old 04-26-2003, 03:42 AM
bear750
My Feedback: (30)

Also for a non scale appearance, I have used small diameter metal cable with wiring ring terminals soldered to each end. Screw them into hard points or with sheet metal screws or 2/56 bolts.