Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite engine size?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What's your favorite engine size?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Inverticle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your favorite engine size?

This is just a curiosity question. I am just interested to know what general size (if any) you prefer to buy, run, maintain, etc...

For me it has always been the "the smaller the better". From .10 to .25 2-strokes and .30 4-strokes. I have had a lot of Norvels over the years and really liked getting the most out of those little screamers (.049 to .074) but I got tired of the poor muffler system (LOUD, leaky, poor back pressure and, other than the .074, poor throttling). Don't get me wrong, I think 1/2a stuff (especially the Norevl's (God rest there little aluminum souls)) are great, just not for me. But what I did really like about the 1/2a stuff was the great fuel economy and small size (planes included). This made things cheap and easy to store/transport. But, generally (I know the TT .07 is also in this category), .10 and up is where you get the benefits of a sealed muffler and all the benefits that come with this. So .10-.15 are great for the small stuff and .25 and .30(4-strokes) are great when you want something with little more presence in the sky or if you really want to over power a little plane. But by keeping things to these sizes you get all the features of the bigger engines as well as the low fuel consumption and more portable/storable planes. Even if I had a bunch of money I think I'd still prefer these sizes. I think it's just something about doing more with less. I know that's one thing the 1/2a guys probably feel.

And if I had to single out one engines size/type to be my absolute favorite I would probably have to say a .15 2-stroke. I really like the .30 4-stroke and 4-strokes in general but I think I'd have to give the edge to the .15. To me it's the perfect size. It's small enough to be super fuel efficient but it has a good enough power to weight ratio to fly a wide array of plane sizes and types.

So what about you guys?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:14 PM
carrellh

Default RE: What's your favorite engine size?

.91 four stroke
Old 11-25-2007, 06:49 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

That's easy: the 46 2 stroke glow engine, except I really also like the 25/26cc gas engine, but my real thrill comes from my 91 2 stroke, except for the times I fly the 52 4 stroke, and of course I really enjoyed the G38 gasser. My 91 4 stroke is still in the box, but I'm sure that will also be a favorite, but maybe not as much as the SK 50 which is a whole different world. Mainly.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:50 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OS140RX
Old 11-25-2007, 09:02 PM
chashint

91 four stroke for me too.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:05 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

nothing runs as reliable and smoothly as my 150cc DA... really love it...

second would be my OS .46 ( but since I started flying gas, I'm spoiled and hate the glow mess)
Old 11-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Inverticle

For me it has always been the "the smaller the better". From .10 to .25 2-strokes and .30 4-strokes. I have had a lot of Norvels over the years and really liked getting the most out of those little screamers (.049 to .074) but I got tired of the poor muffler system (LOUD, leaky, poor back pressure and, other than the .074, poor throttling). Don't get me wrong, I think 1/2a stuff (especially the Norevl's (God rest there little aluminum souls)) are great, just not for me. But what I did really like about the 1/2a stuff was the great fuel economy and small size (planes included). This made things cheap and easy to store/transport. But, generally (I know the TT .07 is also in this category), .10 and up is where you get the benefits of a sealed muffler and all the benefits that come with this. So .10-.15 are great for the small stuff and .25 and .30(4-strokes) are great when you want something with little more presence in the sky or if you really want to over power a little plane. But by keeping things to these sizes you get all the features of the bigger engines as well as the low fuel consumption and more portable/storable planes. Even if I had a bunch of money I think I'd still prefer these sizes. I think it's just something about doing more with less. I know that's one thing the 1/2a guys probably feel.

And if I had to single out one engines size/type to be my absolute favorite I would probably have to say a .15 2-stroke. I really like the .30 4-stroke and 4-strokes in general but I think I'd have to give the edge to the .15. To me it's the perfect size. It's small enough to be super fuel efficient but it has a good enough power to weight ratio to fly a wide array of plane sizes and types.
That's easy: the 46 2 stroke glow engine, except I really also like the 25/26cc gas engine, but my real thrill comes from my 91 2 stroke, except for the times I fly the 52 4 stroke, and of course I really enjoyed the G38 gasser. My 91 4 stroke is still in the box, but I'm sure that will also be a favorite, but maybe not as much as the SK 50 which is a whole different world. Mainly.
OK OK, I get it! I guess I like to cover all the bases. And then some...[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 11-26-2007, 02:07 AM
jeffk464

I'm still working out the needles on my OS91 Surpass, but I think its going to be my favorite. It sounds cool and pulls great vertical on a 9lbs plane, and most importantly no deadsticks.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I think the 90-120 sized engines are my favorite. A 91 4 stroke is really versatile and can be used in anything from a 40 sized 3D plane to a 60 sized scale plane or sport flyer.

The 90 sized plane to me is a good balance. Its not too big to throw in the car but its big enough that its easy to see. 90 sized stuff flies way better and smoother than 40 sized planes IMO.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

100cc's plus
Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Villa

OS.46 FX or the newer OS .46 AX
Old 11-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Insanemoondoggie

4 stroke Saito 1.00 . 2 stroke SuperTigre .90 Gas , TocoBell or my chilli
Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 AM
WCB

Small two strokes (.25-.61)
Small to Medium 4 strokes (.56-1.00)
Any size gasser

Big 2 and 4 strokes use too much expensive fuel.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:01 PM
1fasthitman

o.s. .61fx. Tons of power and never lets me down. always starts, never quits in flight, idles silky smooth.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:31 PM
eniac

I like the 15-40 range. Anything bigger gets more expensive, and smaller with todays micro servos doesn't work out (at least for me) to be really that much cheaper. The only downer is the availability of kits. Arfs are available, I like the phoenix brand sonic for when I have no flyable kit built plane. Greatplanes just came out with a couple 25 size birds that look pretty good as well. With a 15/25LA for a trainer/small-scale bird, or a 32 SX for something faster or larger (I'm hoping to shove two 32s into the TF DC-3 kit) you get a good bank to buck ratio. My Norvel birds flew great, but the engine vanished from production, I'm afraid to fly it much.

I did a 40 sized RV-4 with a RCV58 four stroke, and it's pretty much my favorite plane. The standard servos are large enough to be a bit overkill, the wing is plenty of wing, and the fact it'll still fly in a very small field wins the prize, even with a heavy 12 ounce tank (28 min!). The reality is that is probably the best I can do with a semiscale plane in terms of size and have it perform in a small space and still look rather scale. I don't think the DC-3 will pull off such stunts, will have to find a real field.

I like engines that throttle well, and aren't fuel guzzlers that fly economical planes, so aside from the norvel, 15-32 is the best range I think, with that little RV-4 deviation.

eniac
Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 PM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

I love my little Magnum .52 four strokes. I have one in an Avistar (upright), one in a Phoenix Extra 300S (inverted), and one on it's way for an Edge 540 that I just got from Texas RC. The two I have have been very good engines and seem to run great upright or inverted, and the price is good too.

Bob
Old 11-28-2007, 12:54 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Cox Sure Start...well ok I really like my 40 and 60 size motors but for 6.99 each I had to get a couple.

But the all time favorite is my OS 40abc FSR I just put new bearings in after years of storage...good as new.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:00 PM
expo
My Feedback: (20)

Anything 1.00 or less. I hate buying expensive servos.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Without a doubt, a .91 four stroke, either OS or Magnum. Great engines, and I almost never have a dead stick, in fact I can't remember the last one.

I agree expo; anything bigger and you have to move up a size in servos, and I like everything standard.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 PM
cutaway

Anything that starts without needing an electric starter -- like my 50 year old Fox .29 that starts in one or two flips every time.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Inverticle

Anything that starts without needing an electric starter
I completely agree with this! I hate having to lug a big heavy starter and battery to the field. So any engine that is chicken stick friendly is a good engine.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My all time favorite engine? Easy. The OS FT-160 twin. It is smooth as silk, It's an easy starter, and is stone reliable. The sound is like no other engine. My second favorite would have to be the MOKI 215 5 cylinder radial. Third place would have ot be the Zenoah G-26. Another stone reliable engine that produces ample power and does not cost an arm and a leg to own and/or operate.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

ps..One of these days I'll get the new OS IL-300 inline 4. That should be a dream engine.