Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

fuji bt32atm review

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fuji bt32atm review

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuji bt32atm review

Does anyone know anything about this product? I would like to install into the new GP Giant Super Sportster. Ive heard good and bad. Where can I get a good cosumer review on this engine?

Thanks a lot JIM
Old 12-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Sean C
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: fuji bt32atm review

ORIGINAL: tazzzz
Where can I get a good consumer review on this engine?
From anyone that works for Hobbico

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Old 12-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Several months ago, R/C Report magazine did a review of the Fuji-Imvac BT-32 EI, and then in the same issue they did a review of the G.P. Giant Super Sportster with the Same engine installed. The reviewer liked the plane and the engine. There were some issues with the wheel pant mounting, but nothing that can't be rectified.

I own one of these engines, and other than the odd mounting pattern, and the protruding crankshaft, I like it (a lot). I am considering turning the protruding crankshaft end off the engine (lathe cut), and making a different set of mounting plates (to make the mount symmetrical). It appears to have decent power, and does not appear to be a battery hog. I would like to be able to tell you that I have more experience with this engine, but I have not had the opportunity to use it in a plane yet. I will not be using it in the Giant Super Sportster, since I don't do ARF's. I don't think that you could go wrong with this combination though.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-01-2007, 03:01 PM
tazzzz

Thanyou Stick builder for the comeback,,,appreciate it,,very encouraging----- Im going to wait for more respondence and see if I can get a majority.

JIM
Old 12-01-2007, 05:59 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought one (BT-32EI) and put it on a 1/4 scale Super Decathlon. I had a lot of initial problems getting it to run well at 1/2 to full throttle, but today at the field, I think I finally got it adjusted pretty close, and flew a couple of tanks of gas through it.

I'm using a MA 18-6 Classic prop and it will turn it in the mid to upper 7K range. I started out using Amsoil Saber 100:1 oil, and mixed it per Fuji's manual at 25:1 and the engine would hardly run. I went to 50:1 after two tanks and it was better, but still could not get the top end adjusted to run smoothly. Today, I regapped the plug close to the minimum gap recommended (it was at the max recommended gap out of the box) and changed my oil mix to 80:1 and it runs much, much better. I don't know if it's just getting broken in now, or if some of the changes I've made caused the improvement. I'll probably lean out the mix some more, and go to 100:1 after a couple more tanks, which is what Fuji recommends. I have about a gallon through it now.

It's always started extremely easily. Close the choke, flip it 3-4 times, cut the switch on and flip it twice more and it fires, open the choke and flip it twice more and it starts up and runs. I had it idling at 950 rpm today, but the better reliable idle is about 1500. After it warms up, it will start 2nd or 3rd flip regularly. Like Stickbuilder said, the mounting pattern is kind of odd, and the crankshaft extends a ways behind the engine, but given how mine is starting to wake up, I'd buy another one.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:01 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim:

You are asking about the Fuji 31BT (ATM) which is the magneto engine right???

If so, I have one in stalled on my GP Giant Stick and have been flying it all year. I have had zero problems
with this engine. It starts easily with my electric starter (why flip when I can push a button??). Idles fine,
transitions great and has more then enough power for the Giant Stick.

I am running Pennzoil air-cooled at 40% and have been after I ran the first 3 gallons with Pennzoil air cooled at 25%.

I would get another of these engines (or the EI version depending on what I needed) without hesitation.

There are two other Fuji 32BT's (atm) engines in our club and both have also been trouble free.

My experience.

Dan