Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

4.8 or 6v batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

4.8 or 6v batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:19 PM
springhillflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 or 6v batteries

hey guys, i've been using a 4.8v 600mhz battery with my hitec receiver and now i bought a 6v 1500mhz futaba battery. i've had a couple guys say that its a bit questionable to use a 6v battery because it could burn out the receiver and some guys say that its standard to use 4.8 or 6v in any receiver. i'm wondering what you guys have to say about that. thanks alot
Old 12-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Sean C
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 4.8 or 6v batteries

The receiver will handle 6 volts without a problem. The only issues I know of with 6V packs pertain to gyros and some digital servos.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:38 PM
broke_n_bummin

Most receivers could care less what the voltage is. All they do is redirect the energy to the servo. If you'll look at the specs on your servos, there will be 2 sets of specs. 1 for 4.8 VDC and one for 6 VDC. The receiver has diodes, resisters and transisters to ensure it gets the proper voltage and current for its internal workings. I suppose it's possible, but I've never seen a receiver burn out because of using 6 volts. I believe that may be one of those wives tails that follow suit with gas station explosions caused by cell phones. It may be possible, if the conditions are right, all the planets are lined up in correct order, and it's the third Sunday in February.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:48 PM
springhillflyer

thanks alot for the advice guys
Old 12-02-2007, 03:17 AM
NikolayTT

Wait for a moment, it is not that simple !!! - If the battery is NiMH its "6V" in fully charged
condition is 5x1.44=7.2V. Similar but not so dangerous is the NiCd. It is better to place in
series one diode as the Heli guys are doing when they use 6V; check with some heli pilot
around. In the best scenario, the protection of your Receiver will take care to discharge
your 6V battery so quickly and then is no much use of having 5 cells.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

We run mostly 6v regulated systems.

As Bnb said, 5 cell systems wont hurt recievers, just some digital tail rotor servos (the gyros arent sensitive either), just look at the servos you plan on running, if they have speed and torque for both 4.8 and 6v they mean 4 cell and 5 cell packs and they will be fine.