Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Contact cement

Old 12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
djr1007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contact cement

Guys:
Getting ready to sheet my built up DB 2+2 (yes fully sheeted as I want to try glassing). In any case, I was at the HD getting some more Titebond and just above it was the contact cement used for counter tops. Anyone ever tried this? I know you would only have one shot at getting it right, but getting glue on every rib without a lot of drips, etc is pretty tough with a wing this size if you don't have 3 people helping you spread it.
Who's tried it?
Thanks.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:25 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Contact cement

djr,

You're correct about dripping white glue every where if you put the glue on the ribs. I've had good luck by drawing a pencil line on the inside of the sheeting where the ribs are located and putting the white glue on the sheeting. Then just set the sheeting in place and use appropriate weights, tape and pins to hold everything in place until it dries. Using contact type cement and making a mis-alignment error is going to be very bad!

Paul
Old 12-03-2007, 03:31 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you use a glue syringe, aka glue gun, you can get a nice bead of Titebond along the ribs.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:37 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

A small artist brush controls Titebond very well.. Not the quickest method, but it does give you an even coat.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:56 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried the contact cement on sheeting a built up wing years ago.It lifted off after a tew days from the more curned section of the wing,I think there is not enough surface area involved for good adhesion.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:41 AM
AERORICH73

Yes PMW, you got the right idea. The normal bottle can apply the glue with the right amount of squeeze pressure. Q tips work well in getting rid of any excess, and a damp towel keeps the hands clean. Enjoy your build djr.

AERORICH73