Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

OS .46 LA rebuild

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

OS .46 LA rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:43 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default OS .46 LA rebuild

Hello,

I am considering whether to rebuild my os .46 la engine or to go with a new one. I had a crash and the crankshaft was bent. I priced the crank which is $22 and didn't price the bearings. Anyway...I have never built/rebuilt an engine before and was wondering if this would be a lost cause or try to rebuild it. The engine has probably had 3 gallons of fuel ran through it and ran very well. What should I do?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:54 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS .46 LA rebuild

Im pretty sure the OS LA engines dont have bearings, at least in front, just a bushing. I would guess that a bushing would probably hold up better than a set of bearings, so they might still be ok, and if not, they would be pretty cheap. I just cleaned up and put new bearings into my Evolution 46, and it was very easy. At $22 for the crank, Id take a shot and try to fix it.

One thought though, if you crashed hard enough to bend the crank, you might want to make sure nothing else is broken, like the case having a crack in it somewhere. I have plowed a plane nose first (HARD) into concrete, and it didnt bend the crank. (though it did bend other things so that engine was sent in for repair)

so I have to ask, what happened?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:58 PM
broke_n_bummin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LA's are bushed. No bearrings. Where exactly is the crank bent? If it's real close to the piston and gave it a little extra lift, you might check the piston and sleve. You can buy a new .40LA for like $70. You can buy them all day long on E Bay for $30 - $35 (used).
Old 12-06-2007, 05:48 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The crankshaft was bent towards the end of the shaft (opposite the engine case). The case was not cracked as far as I can tell, but pretty scratched up. I'll let you know how it ends up!
Old 12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I'd buy a new engine and keep this one for parts.