Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Futaba 9c 2.4 ?????????????????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba 9c 2.4 ?????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:51 PM
frenchie79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9c 2.4 ?????????????????

Anyone know when they will intro this-Very tired of waiting for their marketing plan to take shape.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba 9c 2.4 ?????????????????

There is a module available for the 9C. I don't imagine Futaba ever marketing a native 2.4 GHz 9C.

Actually, I don't see them marketing a high end native 2.4 GHz anytime soon. From what I understand, they like they idea of their high end radios having the ability to swap between bands via module.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:24 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is kind of odd they haven't released one yet. If you already have a 9C Tx, you can get an 8ch. FASST 2.4 module to convert it. Not worth the cost unless you already own the FM version. (module and Rx is $320)
Old 12-07-2007, 04:25 PM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: frenchie79

Anyone know when they will intro this-Very tired of waiting for their marketing plan to take shape.
I'm with you Frenchie! [sm=72_72.gif]

Throughout the entire 2.4Ghz explosion Futaba seems to have been 2nd to deliver. I am beginning to wonder if they believe there's some sort of "2nd Mover" advantage here. Seeing what JF/Spectrum does, then trying to improve upon it and say, "hey we do it too, only better!".

Oh well. It certainly appears that Futaba's Holiday Release for 2007 is the Futaba 7C 2.4 Ghz. I can't imagine the marketing types are going to make any announcements around a 2.4 Ghz 9C until they've reached some sort of sales goal with this release. They do not want to "freeze the market" here by announcing a "superior" product. My guess is the 9C 2.4 Ghz gets introduced sometime next fall - along with maybe the next gen FASST. Please note, this is pure speculation on my behalf.

In the meantime, I have been pondering a purchase of the Synthesized 9C along with the 2.4 Ghz module allowing me to fly any plane (72 Mhz or 2.4 Ghz) with a single transmitter. To me, that flexibility is a must.

-MA
Old 12-07-2007, 04:32 PM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck

Actually, I don't see them marketing a high end native 2.4 GHz anytime soon. From what I understand, they like they idea of their high end radios having the ability to swap between bands via module.
Lomcevak

Is your understanding based on something distributed by Futaba? I would think they'd be offering 9C packages with the Spread Spectrum module and receiver (instead of 72 Mhz or Synthesized) if that were the case. [sm=confused.gif]

-MA
Old 12-07-2007, 04:57 PM
frenchie79

Master Alex-I agree, they will run with the 7C as long as they can. They aready have the 12 out so throw the high end notion out the window. Maybe their market plan works-they sell a few 6's to those that want more, then the same guys by the 7C because they can wait and finally the all too popular 9C hits LAST and everyone comes running, thats if some of us don't go elsewhere. It's becoming real hard to be loyal to Futaba-Hope their listening.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:15 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

i took my 9c and went xps and a 10 ch and will not go back,i love it
Old 12-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MasterAlex

Lomcevak

Is your understanding based on something distributed by Futaba? I would think they'd be offering 9C packages with the Spread Spectrum module and receiver (instead of 72 Mhz or Synthesized) if that were the case. [sm=confused.gif]

-MA
No, I don't have any inside information. Just the feeling I get from corespondence with and talking to Bax and Krysta in the radio forums. I might be mistaken but I thought Futaba was already selling the 9C with the 2.4 modules, or maybe I read that somewhere... Anyways, what I meant in my first post is that I don't forsee Futaba selling a "Native 2.4 GHz 9C" but rather marketing them as they are now- a module radio with the option of which band you buy it on. If they haven't hit the shelves yet or appeared this way in magazines it might be because the modules aren't available in large enough number maybe? Again, I don't have any inside information, just speculation.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: MasterAlex

In the meantime, I have been pondering a purchase of the Synthesized 9C along with the 2.4 Ghz module allowing me to fly any plane (72 Mhz or 2.4 Ghz) with a single transmitter. To me, that flexibility is a must.

-MA
I thought the same at first - then realized how much simpler it would be to avoid 72mhz entirely. Sold all my 72mhz stuff (6 Txs, 23 rxs) and bought a new 9C, a 2.4 module and 10 rxs. I have a concern about frequency control getting lax as 2.4 becomes prevalent, and I didn't want to be on either side of an accidental shoot-down.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:06 AM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

Sold all my 72mhz stuff (6 Txs, 23 rxs) and bought a new 9C, a 2.4 module and 10 rxs. I have a concern about frequency control getting lax as 2.4 becomes prevalent, and I didn't want to be on either side of an accidental shoot-down.
Teachu2

You've got an excellent point about freq control. I currently fly with a Hitec Optic W/Spectra so I have my 72 Mhz channels covered. I really want to move into scale and will need more than 6 channels. I am leaning towards the 9C and 2.4 Ghz. If I REALLY thought this through, I'd just buy the 9C and 2.4 module and equip all new planes with 2.4. I can go back and ween myself off the 72 Mhz at my leisure. Fortunately for me, I fly at a very small club - there's not a single member on my preferred Freq - so I'm much less worried about getting shot down. Don't take that last statement as a sign of complancy however - I know on 72 Mhz a "SAM Strike" could happen anytime.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:21 AM
MasterAlex

No, I don't have any inside information. Just the feeling I get from corespondence with and talking to Bax and Krysta in the radio forums. I might be mistaken but I thought Futaba was already selling the 9C with the 2.4 modules, or maybe I read that somewhere...
Gotcha. I have been watching Tower for 9C 2.4 Ghz options. I believe the current option is to purchase a 72 Mhz radio along with the 2.4 Ghz module. I haven't seen a "combo" where they were sold/marketed together. That leaves us all to wonder if something's coming or they're just missing a marketing opportunity - heck of a "miss" this time of year.

Anyways, what I meant in my first post is that I don't forsee Futaba selling a "Native 2.4 GHz 9C" but rather marketing them as they are now- a module radio with the option of which band you buy it on. If they haven't hit the shelves yet or appeared this way in magazines it might be because the modules aren't available in large enough number maybe? Again, I don't have any inside information, just speculation.
Plausable... it does make me wonder though. As far in advance as those Mags go to press that would be a fairly significant planning error.

It would be nice to know Futaba's product roadmap on this one. I can't seem them not introducing a 2.4 Ghz 9c - we all know its coming, the question is when (1 yr? 5yrs? 10 yrs?) ... eventually everything will be 2.4 Ghz and you'll have to search long & hard for 72 Mhz.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:07 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

The only problem I have with the 9C and 2.4 module is the fact that you only get to use 8 of the 9 channels you paid for. Same is true if you use it in PPM mode. Have to use PCM receiver to get full 9 channels worth. Also, can someone explain to me why their 14 channel receiver only has enough plugs for 12 channels? I always thought that to be a bit odd. In fact it's been the case for some time now as I remember some 8 channel receivers that you had to use a y cord to power the receiver if you used all 8 channels. I hate that crap. It's not exactly like the receivers would be too big by having the proper number of connectors on them.