Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Finding a lost plane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Finding a lost plane

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 09:41 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Finding a lost plane

Ever have a plane go down in the woods/swamp/corn field/someone's backyard or may be a ditch/sump or land on a building or house..... you think? Finding one of these can be a real pain. Especially when you KNOW FOR SURE where it went down, but when you get there, it isn't there.

I am a brand new pilot. I learned a lesson the hard way and wanted to pass
along what I learned to, perhaps, spare you the same unfortunate experience.

I didn't know enough to avoid a windy day for my first flights. There were
10-15MPH winds which were gusting to 20 MPH. I also wasn't watching my flight
time. Between the heavy winds and, perhaps having the battery run down to
cut-off level, my Aerobird was carried off by the wind. I ditched it in woods
near the flying field. I saw where it went down. I knew where it went down. I went straight to where it went down! Two days and 6 hours of searching and I never found it.

I have since replaced the plane, but wanted to make sure this didn't happen again. So I talked to the smart people.

I learned about plane locators which are devices that beep to help you find your plane in the woods, corn field or whatever is near your flying field. For someone using a typical 72 MHZ set-up, these plug into a spare channel on the receiver. They start beeping when they loose the transmitter signal, which assumes you have gone out of range, or your transmitter has failed.

Here is a review of an Emergency Locator Beacon that illustrates its value
(this site is somewhat unreliable)
http://webhome.idirect.com/~arrowmfg...s/elb-revi.htm

Sounds like a good idea to me. Every plane I ever own will have some kind of
locator from now on. Here are examples of locators for 72 MHZ flight systems.
They cost between $15 and $30 and typically go inside the plane. Postings
I have read say you can hear them for about 50-100 feet however if the flight
battery becomes disconnected, they lose power and don't work.

http://www.customelectronics.co.uk/lma.htm
http://www.hobbico.com/accys/hcap0335.html
http://www.rcelectronics.bravepages.com/Locator.html

A Locator for the 27 MHZ crowd

If you are flying one of the 27 MHZ based ready-to-fly planes, like I am, they
are usually based on an electronics compartment that is not easy to get to
unless you take the plane apart. I for one, have no interest in doing that
and I don't think there is a typical receiver with a spare channel in there.
These are planes like the Firebird, T-Hawk, e-gull, or my Aerobird which are
usually purchased by inexperienced flyers who are more prone to lose the
plane. So what do we do?

I found an answer. I ordered a pair of these:

http://www.keyringer.com

They look like a small clicker for your car door locks. They work by sound.
You click one of a pair which sends out a chirp that the second one hears and
answers. Since the unit has to hear the tone, it is best mounted outside of
the airplane or the range will be dramatically reduced.

I tested them, with a clear line of site, and got reliable first try response
to about 175 feet with a response on a second or third try at about 200 feet.
You can hear the tone at that distance, which is pretty far. I then placed it
behind my car's tire away from me. Range when down to about 150 and 175 feet
respectively. Still better than the ones above which go inside the plane.

My plane weighs 16 ounces ready to fly and the keyringer is about 3/4 ounce,
or about 5% of the plane's weight. I think it will be very manageable. I am
going to try attaching it in one of two places for testing.

I will rubber band it to the right side of the body, tucked close up to the
wing using the posts that hold the wing. This places it substantially out of
the air stream, behind the rubber bands, and at the front/rear center of
gravity. We will see what the effect is left right.

The other place will be on top of the wing under the rubber bands that hold
the
wing. It will definitely be in the air stream here, but should balance nicely.
Using it here, it would be very easy to move between planes that use rubber
band mounted wings.

If it works out, I will develop some more permanent mounting method using
screws and epoxy or something like that. If anyone else tries this, I would
love to hear your feedback.

Since this is outside the plane, I don't think I would recommend it for a fuel
plane as there is an open speaker/receiver, so fuel might get inside and
damage it. I see it more for parkflyers, especially the ones that really don't
have a place inside to put the traditional locators. Even on 72 MHZ planes, it
might work out well on "stick" models and flying wings might be good
candidates. Also, since it has it's own batteries, there is no need to attach
it to any of the internal electronics, so there would be no power concerns if
the flight battery came lose, and no concerns about effecting the flight
systems.

I think this could work out. I will let you know how the testing goes. If
someone else has a better idea, let me know.

Old 04-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Stick Jammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mentioned that it went down in the woods, did you look up in the trees while searching? You would be surprised at how many planes never make it to the ground. Just a thought.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:55 PM
pinball-RCU

All my planes have plane finders, but I notice it's something that experience seems to improve. There's a guy at my field who's been flying for 20 years or so, and I swear, when a plane goes down, no matter how far away, or how many obstacles there are in the way, he walks right to the plane every time.

Also, there was a girl at another field, 14 y.o. or so. While her father flew, she would walk in the woods, and bring out planes. It was really amazing. These were planes that nobody had found in months, or years.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:31 AM
aeajr

Did I look in the trees? You bet I looked in the trees. For 6 hours I wandered through the woods, in the bushes, thorns, mud, weeds. I looked up, down and in all directions.

I had binoculars with me with which I scanned the trees and the shrubs and the fields. You would think that a bright orange, 42" wing span, plane would be easy to spot, but I never did.

I went back the next day and searched again. And the following Saturday. I looked for over 8 hours with no results. I can't believe it was actually there. Someone must have taken it.

My name was on it, but no one called.

However, a friend lost a plane in the same woods a year before. Two weeks later someone called and said it was sitting on the trail, undamaged. Must have been in a tree.

So, if it is/was in a tree, a locator would have helped me find it. If someone took it, nothing would help.

So, all my planes will have locators. I will never fly without one again.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:53 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Our field is surrounded by over a hundred acres of mature trees. It is incredible how easily a tree can hide a model. This summer we had a member deadstick a 60" orange colored model into the edge of the woods that was seen by 10 people. We all spent half an hour looking, then the owner and a few of us stayed and looked at least an hour longer. Finally, a week later. his plane was found 35 ft up in a tree, all but invisible from the ground, and mostly recovered; the rest of the recovering was done once he got it home ;-). In the search we found a relic red and white model that had been lost the prior year and given up on - both planes were just 50' into the woods off the end of the runway.

When the model goes in take the time to note a few landmarks and directions to help you keep in the proper line when searching.

One trick is to take the transmitter in with you and stand still while operating the control surfaces. Sometimes that makes enough noise to locate the model.

Or just listen for the sounds of a dark-hearted evil Ent tree munching away on your model. They got tongues that shoot out 30 feet, easy.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:24 AM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Where I fly there is a lot of trees/bush.
There is a local guy who we pay to find planes,
he says he can smell the fuel, and we believe him because he
will find planes even though he didn't see them go down.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

We do allot of combat gliding on hills with thick bush covering, one day the contents of my glider fell out during a bunt! i locked on them and knew exactly where they went, then straight as an arrow i went there. 45 mins later my friends gave up hunting, another 20 later i fell over, as i looked at my foot the radio gear was wrapped around it!
Another time on the same hill my GF's glider went in, we hunted for about an hour and a half, i finally started a hunting pattern like mowing the garden, second pass i found it DEEP in heather.
A good way to find planes is to get someone to waggle the sticks, you then listen hard.
A couple of weeks ago a guy lost his plane at our flying site, it went down the cliffs and we eventually found it over a mil away on the only accessible slope no more than 30 feet from the water.
Another time, another field, a plane went flat on take off and went in the gorse bushes, should have been an easy find, but a 3 hours that day and week later still no luck. he spent the whole day the next weekend looking and found it.
Somewhere on our field theres a 9"prop, ali spinner and half the crankshaft which snapped off mid flight, never found that either.
Never give up looking.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:50 PM
BillHarris

Sounds like a good idea. In the brush you can pass with a couple of feet of the plane and not see it.

I wonder if there is a way to amplify the "clicker" signal (or build a louder one) so that the "receiver" can hear it better.

When you lose a plane, before anything else you need to lay something on the ground pointing at the "last sighting" so that the crash point can be accurately located. I usually just lay the TX on the ground with the antenna pointing.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:45 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I landed a glider on the slope one time, looked for a couple hours for it. Ended up finding it on the way back to the truck. must have walked over it 10 times. The weeds hid it well. Has happened. Frusterating when you know it has to be there.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:55 PM
aeajr

BillHarris

I had not thought of using the transmitter to mark the direction of last sighting. I like that. Good tip.

The plane finders that go inside seem to have an audiable range of about 50-75 feet. Some say 100. I guess it all depends on the plane, where it is located in the plane. The voltage of the flight pack might matter also. A 6 V pack might give a louder sound than a 4.8 V pack. This assumes that the flight pack has not become disconnected.

As for the keyringer, at about 150-200 foot range, that's about as good as you are going to get. After that you are talking about having a transmitter in the plane and a direction finder in your hand. I have heard of them, but never seen one. Sounds expensive.

Mount locations for the keyringer plane finder.
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i...e21b33b641c4516

I will put the keyringer on my Aerobird. I think top of the wing will be best.

Considering what you toss into the air, these locators, whether internal or external are dirt cheap!
Old 04-10-2003, 11:24 AM
jettstarblue

Yes,
The easiest way to not lose a plane is chop the throttle, and let it "crash lightly" while you can still see it, it's better than looking for three days, only to find out some local hunters saw it go down, and took it home to "take it apart to see what makes it tick" HE HAW!!! I would have rather had them shoot it out of the sky!!!!!

Jetts
Old 04-11-2003, 01:55 AM
robb_h

Never look down at your transmitter when your glider is just a speck, especially when you're alone. I did that when flying a Dynaflite Skeeter, and I never did find it. It's a hopeless feeling to not see your plane, when you know you're looking right at it.

Robb
Old 04-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Cactus.

the human eye is designed to notice movement, stop looking around and look into space focusing as far as you can ( don't go cross eyed ) :stupid: , at some point you should pick up something moving, this is normally better in peripheral ( hope the spell checker got the right word ) vision.
Its worse when you loose orientation of your funfly with your digital camera on top and its over the sea and you can see it, just have no idea which way up you are till you bunt and fly level and then throttle up and get home as quick as poss. watch the film back and see the cliffs below during the tumble
Old 04-11-2003, 11:57 PM
aeajr

For you guys who like to lose your plane so far away that you can't see it, here is a locator that might be worth investment by a club.

For really long distances - measured in miles
http://www.texastimers.com/helpful_h.../wal_cover.htm
Old 04-12-2003, 12:44 AM
BrianMorris

I lost my first plane in the sun.I couldn't tell which way it was going.After panicking,I managed to guide it ,nose first,straight down into the woods.A guy at the field,whom I had never met,helped me for hours.No luck.He even met me there the next morning and helped me search ALL DAY! Still no luck.The next day,Sunday,I went back and spent ALL DAY scouring again.I am talking thick stuff too.I was very worried of snakes.The guy who was helping me told me "If you are looking for a snake,you will be sure to find one." But still nothing.This plane and everything with it,was brand new.I was sick.But that next morning(Monday) I had a dream before I woke up for work.I found the plane.It was just a bit farther in the woods.So,I jumped out of bed and raced to the field.I got out of my truck and walked as fast as I could --STRAIGHT TO MY PLANE!!! (well as straight as I could, considering the density of the woods) It was just a bit farther than I had thought. It had two holes,about the size of a silver dollar punched through the wing.That's it! I was so happy.
I still have that plane.
I now have a radio in all of my planes.If they go down now,I just radio to the pilot for his coordinates!
Old 04-15-2003, 01:38 AM
Charlie P.

Robb_h & Brian,

When you lose sight of your plane, cut throttle (of course you know how much throttle will allow a slight desent from prior trials)and push your rudder trim lever to one side. If luck is with you, you will see it doing lazy spirals some time before it strikes the ground.

If it's not a plane with some dihedral that will take care of itself for a bit, you shouldn't be flying it that far up/off to begin with. If it's a neurtal-axis fly-where-you-point-it hot plane - you better duck and find a roof to get under.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:43 AM
robb_h

Charlie,

It seems everything was against me the day I lost the glider. It was a bright, sunny day with bright, blue sky and puffy white cumulus clouds. It was also rather windy. It seems like the Cox Black Widow ran for an eternity, and got the glider up around 400-500 feet. It was a small glider to begin with, and only weighed 12 oz. The second I lost sight of it, I started wagging the wingtips to try and catch a glint off the pearl covering. It was to no avail, as everything was so screamin' bright. I'm sure it went downwind rather quickly also. It had plenty of dihedral, so I'm sure it almost flew itself to the ground. I did have my name in it, but it was never found/returned. It's rather desolate out where I fly.

kit = $15
engine= $15 (didn't owe me anything)
micro radio gear = $100

Live and learn.

Robb H.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:50 AM
aeajr

A number of the posts make reference to loosing sight of your bird. I wonder if there is something like binoculars that you can "flip down" like sun glasses to magnify your vision.

Since I lost my plane, I always keep binoculars with me at the field. I have a compact set that live in my field box. Even if I don't need them for my plane, I might be able to help someone else spot their plane and bring it home.

So, any "flip down" binoculars or somethign like that?
Old 04-15-2003, 11:49 AM
BrianMorris

I should have added that when I lost my plane,I had just got into this hobby.It has been a few years or more now.I learned a valuable lesson that day.STAY IN THE PATTERN!
I had guided the plane so far away and torwards the sun.I couldn't tell if it was right-side up or inveted.Even now when training my Dad to fly,he had drifted towards the setting sun and we both lost it for a moment.
Have a loose plan as to what you are going to do once airborne.If you are just boring holes in the sky,you can become disoriented and disaster could soon follow.(I read that somewhere!)Now I sort of use a race track pattern with 4 turns.I have had many go down and have not "Lost" one since.I have had to go out there with my toothpick-picker-upper and some tissues.
Now,when I want to do tricks or manuvers,I do them in the middle of the pattern.That is what I would like too see everyone do when there is more than one plane flying at a time.There's nothing more annoying than some guy flying against the pattern or doing tricks right in front of you while you are in the pattern.Leave that to the middle of the "Track." Many people don't use this simple technique and should.There is nothing worse than some guy teaching someone else bad flying etiquitte.It almost always leads to disaster. It happened at a field the other day.A guy was teaching a kid right over the runway.There was a mid-air and there were bad feelings and words.The bad part about it was the guy teaching could not understand why the other guy was so mad.And I thought he was a seasoned pilot!
Anyway,keep it close and it won't get lost.
Brian
Old 04-15-2003, 11:58 AM
Charlie P.

I used to fly free-flight and I had an attrition rate of 50% lost or crashed for any flight. Not the best sport in the hilly, wooded river valleys in the area I live. Watching one land on Interstate 81 to be demolished as no plane ever had was a heart stopping moment.

Just two weeks ago I did something incredibly stupid: I lifted off with a bird that was acting squirrely on the ground. Don't know what I was thinking. Of course, it got worse in the air. After gaining altitude I glanced down at my tx and, sure enough, the rudder trim was full over. I centered it and looked up, only to hear the splat of my plane digging a hole big enough to plant a rose bush. Do as I say, not as I do.

But then again I used to crash control-line aeroplanes, so even knowing exactly where it is and in what attitude doesn't always help . . . me.

Give the industry about 15 years and we will have onboard GPS rx with altimiters that relay telemetry data back to a display on the tx for relative bearing and altitude. And probably with an auto-pilot circuit that returns the plane to a pre-set sky coordinate if radio contact is lost.

Someone should invent a mechanism that releases a puff of orange smoke from the plane at a push of a button on the tx. That would give you one last chance to spot it.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:01 PM
Cactus.

you do have to leach people quite close in and a bit lower than you'd like, when up high and far away they loose orientation too quickly.
Isn't doing tricks in the middle of the pattern also right infront of you/over the runway?
I tend to fly now and KNOW what the plane is doing even when hard to see, sometimes tho thats bad coz you can get caught out and then have to re-track the plane.
one tip for flying in the sun.. shut one eye, as you come out the other side open again and you'll have one good eye to fly the green silhouette
Old 04-15-2003, 12:22 PM
BrianMorris

No,doing anything in the middle of the pattern would be over the middle of the flying area.The runway is just outside of the pattern.Like in NASCAR.Exept our pit area is on the outside instead of the inside.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Cactus.

ahhhhh you fly too far away also a close call to say if your in the pattern or drifted over the runway sometimes.
we have a round patch so we can fly any wind, sometimes the pits gets in the way when the wind shifts and then pilots also stand in the middle of no where after launching and forget to join the rest of us.
One thing about the race track, your all flying alot closer and maybe more likley to hit, thats how we flew our combat planes so we could hit, just doing your own thing was too random.
here we just go where ever, the fast and low guys do big U's and fly low, the sporters fly above and in the middle, the old farts out in the distance and while the fast guys climb and turn round im hanging in the middle. But it keeps us out of each others airpace most of the time.
A DD, Magnum, Cougar, Learner all trying to fly in a circuit together is asking for trouble.
also we're lucky that its rare to have more than 4 planes up at one time. and even then if one type is up, the other types wont fly.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:55 AM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

need a compass to find direction in woods.lost a plane in swamp but after getting on other side of bushes tried to go where i saw it go down,never found it that day.came back next day with compass and took reading of last srrn heading from spot i was standing day before.went on otherside of bushes to discover i was way off in my search .found plane on heading of compass in five minutes.you would be suprised how far off you can be without a compass reading.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:39 AM
Skywriter-RCU

Default Found it!

AEAJR
Hello, I found your plane 3 states away. Yep, it landing right in my front yard. I cleaned it up and am ready to fly it. Actualy I am just joking. I hope you can see the humor in this reply. I do understand you on this. Beeper sounds good to me!

Take care
Skywriter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.