Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lightweight primer/filler painting method

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lightweight primer/filler painting method

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 10:45 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lightweight primer/filler painting method

I am in the process of completing a small pylon racer and am looking for the lightest paint job I can find. Obviuosly I am not looking to add a pound of weight to this little bird. It's a 400 square inch modified Mustang Reno racer known as Stilleto. Nelson QM40 for power at 3-1/2 to 4 lbs.

I have a built up fuse and sheeted wing. Was interested in paint verses plastic covering. May consider covering the wing and painting the fuse.

Any suggestions for a very light method of primer and paint???

I am familar with the sealer's, resins and fillers that are typically used. Again I am looking for the lightest combination I can find.

Old 03-04-2002, 12:03 AM
Dzlstunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight primer/filler painting method

One quick and dirty method is used by some stunt flyers. Use thinned Titebond II (or dope if you are into sniffing the fumes) to cover the fuse with medium weight silkspan. After that dries, make up a brushable slurry of water and spackling compound and paint it on. Sand all the dried slurry off, only leaving that which is filling the weave of the paper. Use some rattle-can sandable primer from the auto parts store, and sand most of it off, too. Ready for color.