Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

nimh receiver packs from standard button end storebought batteries

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

nimh receiver packs from standard button end storebought batteries

Old 12-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Groundskeeper3404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nimh receiver packs from standard button end storebought batteries

Has anyone ever made any receiver packs from AA 1.2v nimh blister pack batteries like one would buy in a department store? Also are there any issues with this type of setup ?
Old 12-25-2007, 07:56 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: nimh receiver packs from standard button end storebought batteries

Battery packs can be assembled from these types of batteries, but there is one HUGE issue that needs to be addressed. It's very VERY hard to solder to the ends of these batteries. The problems occur because the seals on battery cells are made of thin plastic. If the cell is heated too much when you are soldering to it the seal will melt and the battery is worthless. The amount of heat required to melt this seal usually isn't much. 3-4 seconds of heat from the soldering iron is enough to toast it. Unless your soldering skills are very very good it's usually not worth trying to make packs from batteries like this. If you want to build your own packs (which I do myself) you are best to assemble from cells that have solder tabs on them to avoid ruining the cells. But in this day and age large assembled packs are getting really cheap. It's almost better to just buy the pack pre-built where they are professionally assembled

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 12-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used the 4-cell (both AAA and AA) prewired battery holders from Radio Shack.
These are good for flying, but not for charging. They tend to melt if the pack gets hot.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:50 AM
rhowardsta

If you can find a local Batteries Plus store the have welders that they use to build drill packs ect. that they might just use to put some tabs on those types of batteries for you.Just tell them you got a great deal on these batteries and you were wondering if they could help you out. They also have a great selection of "Tech" cells in various sizes and amps.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:57 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

The life of your entire investment in time and money depends on the batteries in use. Is it really worth the risk in using unknown quality batteries just to save a few pennies???
Old 12-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Groundskeeper3404

OK NUFF SAID- So I'll scrap the homemade setup. So what about these aftermarket packs they sell online, or are the Name Brand (Futaba-Hitec-JR) packs of a better quality. I do want the best battery in my aircraft, but price is always an issue on my budget. Thanks for all the input, these forums are awesome.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:18 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

FRESH Sanyo's and other name brands:
www.cermark.com