Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Glow Chargers - Best Way To Clean 'Em

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Glow Chargers - Best Way To Clean 'Em

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:40 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Chargers - Best Way To Clean 'Em

Hanger 9 Glow Chargers (with Meters) - All in service now several years, have collected a lot of lint and grit in the tube that slides over glow plug - the contacts are also quite dirty. What's the best way to clean the external contact and tube?

Also - these use Sanyo KR-1300SC cells (smaller than C cells). Hanger 9 does not sell replacements. Know of a reliable battery source catering to these cells? Thanks for all your help and my best to you all in '08.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38544.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	834702  
Old 12-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Flying freak

Default RE: Glow Chargers - Best Way To Clean 'Em

Steel wool

also the contact in the tube (the one that hits the top of the plug) i have herd about it oxidization and some ppl have used a dremel to clean the inside with one of those wire brush attachments (like numbers 443/405 [link=http://www.mytoolstore.com/dremel/403-443.gif]here[/link])

I hope this helps

Steven
Old 12-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Oly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've pulled them apart and used rubbing alcohol first, to get rid of the grease. After that, I've lightly sanded the contacts with a very fine grit paper, wipe again with alcohol and reassemble. Steel wool would work great, too. I just didn't think of it at the time!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Jazzy

If you can unscrew the barrel that contains the batt - do so. Now, while gripping the - aw heck. I'll just post some pics!

If yours is like the one I have (not a twist lock-on) just pull the outer sheath till it jams on the inner barrel.

Now twist off the barrel assy and everything comes apart. Just tap the inner barrel on a hard surface to free it from the outer sheath.

Clean with denatured alcohol or similar and put barrel assy back together.

The Cathode contact inside the housing usually gets corroded and must be cleaned. This is not as easy as it would seem. Scrape, grind, buff, sand - whatever you have to do to get it clean then put some anti-oxidant grease on it.

New cells can be had from just about anywhere that sells rechargeables. Tower, any of the battery supply houses found here, Panasonic, and I think you can get/order them through Radio SH***. They are the same size as the ones in your cordless tool battery packs. Just not really low impedence.

Hope this helps.

After your first outing using it it will be all lubed up again!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85828.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	834758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91176.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	834759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47830.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	834760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83201.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	834761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35445.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	834762  
Old 12-27-2007, 10:02 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

THANK YOU ~ THANK YOU ~ THANK YOU !

Jazzy - I took my chargers apart as you instructed, cleaned them and walla - heck of a tip!

Now to find replacement batteries and do a bit of winter flying before the really cold stuff sets in.

Have a GREAT 2008!