Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

FORMULA 560 CANOPY GLUE/ A QUESTION???????????

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

FORMULA 560 CANOPY GLUE/ A QUESTION???????????

Old 01-02-2008, 06:31 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FORMULA 560 CANOPY GLUE/ A QUESTION???????????

I have a bottle of "Formula '560'" Canopy Glue. Will this be a satisfactory glue to attach a clear plastic canopy to Ultracote? I'm just finishing a kit build and have this glue on hand but have only used it once to insert a plastic window in a window frame. Thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 06:59 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FORMULA 560 CANOPY GLUE/ A QUESTION???????????

Yep. That's what it's for. It will stick to the Ultracote very well. Just don't use more than needed. Large globs can take weeks to dry.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:34 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to roughen the covering a little with some sandpaper just to give a little insurance. Probably not absolutely necessary but every bit helps. I've also poked pin holes in the covering wherever the glue will be to allow it to soak down to the wood. The problem with pin holes or cutting away the covering though is that you can usually see it through the edge of the canopy unless you add some sort of trim with striping tape or paint.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Mike Pascale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking to one of the guys at the field and he tryed GOOP . the only thing about it was make sure thats were you want it as its pretty tackey.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

The canopy glue is great. I dont roughen up or do any other preparation to the covering other than cleaning it really well with alcohol.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:26 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I love RC560 ! But I didn't scuff the inside of the canopy or the covering on a plane once, and the canopy blew off in a knife edge. So, I believe that scuffing the surfaces to be glued is kinda mandatory now.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Although the product you mention will work, E-6000 is the best I have found for canopy glue. I get it at a chain craft shop called Michael's. It is the same stuff as PFM sold by Innovative Model Products.

It is far superior to any other canopy glue I have ever used.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:45 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

560 is the best way to attached your canopy. As mentioned alcohol wipe your fuse and wash the canopy with water to remove any residue or oils from them. Use no more than needed and you may need to tape the canopy in place while the glues dries, usually overnight unless you have a very good fit. The PFM type glues are simply messy for this application.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:12 PM
scalenutz
My Feedback: (6)

Thats the right glue but i prefer a different way to use it. I position the canopy on the fuselage and trace lightly around it, use a sharp knife and make a cut just inside the line and JUST through the ultracote not the wood! then make another cut about an 1/8 inch further in,remove the strip of covering to expose the wood under neath. Glue the canopy on and tape it. Leave it alone for 24hrs before removing the tape. It is ok to wipe off any glue runs with a wet cloth. Once dry I like to seal around the edge of the canopy with stripping tape of the same color, makes for a realy profesional install. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:44 PM
edward cobb

ORIGINAL: Steve Collins

Although the product you mention will work, E-6000 is the best I have found for canopy glue. I get it at a chain craft shop called Michael's. It is the same stuff as PFM sold by Innovative Model Products.

It is far superior to any other canopy glue I have ever used.
Have to agree with steve on the E6000, it the best and will lock down the quickest. find it at Wal-mart in the craft dept. Another great product you can get in the shoe dept. (shoe goo) This stuff is great, espicllly like for tacking servo wires, dries flexible, will hold anything and can be removed easily when ready.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Steve Collins

The E6000 is water cleanup until it cures. No messier than any other type of glue. It will run a bit but is far thicker than the 560 stuff mentioned here which is very "runny".

For those who think it is messy to use, it can even be applied in small amounts to both surfaces to be joined and allowed to set up a bit. This eliminates any tendency to run and then it works similar to contact cement.

Ed Cobb,

Nice to see that someone else has discovered this adhesive. Amazing how when someone asks which is the "best" glue, you tell them, and they don't even try it. Try it once and you won't ever use anything else to glue a canopy on!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:49 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

I have both sitting on my building shelf and when I absolutely, positively want it to remain stuck, I use the E-6000. That stuff works great. I also purchase mine at Michael's Craft Store. And anyone who likes to "dress up' their sport scale planes to look a bit more scale like should take a walk through your local craft store because you will find a huge selection of items that can be used to "doll up" your baby. I found a shapeable mesh material in there that is perfect for making radiator screens from. Brushes of any sort for any sort of paint or dope. Even stainless wire and ferrules for semi-functional scale flying wires. Check it out next time your wife wants to go get supplies for scrap booking or croucheting or such.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up a tube ant Menards today . Going to give it a shot . Thanks for the tip .
Old 01-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Steve Collins

I have both sitting on my building shelf and when I absolutely, positively want it to remain stuck, I use the E-6000.
I use the E-6000 on all of my canopies including on the turbine powered jets. Since I switched to this adhesive, I have never had a canopy come loose.

I once had a Jack Stafford P-39 used for pylon racing. It's canopy was glued on to Monokote with E-6000 (no roughing up or other preparation except for a good cleaning with lacquer thinner). On its second test flight something went wrong and it went straight in from a fairly high altitude at high speed.

You can imagine how torn up that fuselage was. The section where the canopy was had folded up like an accordion, including the canopy, but the gluejoint was 100% intact. This is why I am such a believer in this glue for canopies as well as a host of other applications.

Did I mention it is usually under $4 for a nice sized tube???? About the same price as the Formula 560 but you get twice as much!
Old 03-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Capt. Bill

I ran across this and since I having to reglue a canopy on a old airplane I ran to Walmart and picked up a tube. Only $2.75 for a tube. I know people have used 560 as a nylon hinge glue. I wonder how E-6000 would work for hinges?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Capt. Bill

I was just reading the instructions for E-6000. it says acetone or citrus based clean up. And containing perchlorethylene I would watch the fumes.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:08 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

Hi,
I have a canopy glued into a fiberglass frame with Zap 560 Canopy glue. I need to replace the the canopy. How does one loose the Zap glue?
Old 02-21-2021, 11:47 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Exacto blade,, warm the glue joint with a hair drier or very low setting on your heat gun, slide the blade between the pieces,, take your time
Old 02-21-2021, 12:55 PM
jvaliensi

Would soaking in hot water help? Thank you for responding!
Old 02-21-2021, 05:30 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

What ever softens and makes it a little more flexible,, sure worth a try
Old 02-21-2021, 06:36 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

Just be careful with the amount of heat. Too much and the fiberglass weave can print through to the surface finish.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:27 AM
jvaliensi

FYI-
I successfully removed the canopy by soaking the assembly in warm water. The glue loosened up and I was able to pull it apart without much effort.