Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Sukhoi engine

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Goldberg Sukhoi engine

Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goldberg Sukhoi engine

I`m getting the stuff together to start a Goldberg Sukhoi .90 . The instructions in the kit say , Do Not Overpower this kit . To use a 2c .90 or a 4c 1.20 .

One of our club members has one with a gasser G38 and flys around a at about 1/2 throttle. The plane has been sheeted and glassed , I think. He said it was very heavy compared to a stock built one. And you can tell it`s not a floater and he lands pretty hot.

I have an ASP 1.20 4 stroke or a SuperTigre G2300 looking for a home. Both engines weigh within 3/4 of an oz. of each other . The G2300 is rated at 3.7 hp and the ASP is rated at 1.6 hp. Thats a pretty big difference .

After digging thru the forums , some say the recommend engine size is plenty and others say it`s not enough. Has anyone one flown this plane with these engines?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:28 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Sukhoi engine

My 12 year old kit built uses a 1.20 Webra 2C. It is not overpowered by any means. Back when it was built the power to weight was great. Now days it is lacking.(at least to prop hang) I think the company was worried about high speed flutter. So they listed engines to sport fly the plane. If this is what you are after then a 90 2C would be fine. If you want a little more then a little more engine would help.

David
Old 02-02-2008, 02:08 PM
rfmullig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a Goldberg Sukhoi . What a pretty plane.
I am going to put a SV-26cc gasser in it. Show us your CG Sukhoi. Send photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96072.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	868086  
Old 02-02-2008, 02:35 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built one also with the Webra 1.20 that weighed 10 lbs even. I agree that by todays standards, it would be underpowered for prop hanging. At 10 lbs., it flew very light, and might have done a few things better with more power and slightly more weight.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:01 PM
rfmullig

Let's see your Sukhoi guys. Send us pics
Old 02-02-2008, 05:19 PM
rfmullig

I have been really struggling with the decision to get the 26cc gasser. On my Seagull EDGE540 I have a YS1.20 and it is very well powered. I have considered mounting the 26cc on the Edge and the YS1.20 on the Sukhoi. We'll see.... I also have the Goldberg EXTRA300 with a Magnum1.20 4cycle. It flys it very well but not 3D. I have been really pleased with the Magnum1.20. Great bang for the buck.
Rob-
Old 02-02-2008, 05:48 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

I had the similar Goldberg Extra 300 and the original design did have flutter problems. I've seen 2 lost to flutter, including mine. The problem was with the suggested split elevator pushrod. It was split in the back, "pickle fork" style and just wasn't stiff enough. After the rebuild I went to three servos in the tail with short straight pushrods and eliminated all the problems. Separate pushrods or a split pushrod that is split in the front with good straight runs would also work.

I had an OS 1.20 fs in it and while it flew the plane well, it definitely could have used a little more power. I wished I had put my 1.08 in it.

Dave
Old 02-02-2008, 06:03 PM
rfmullig

Dave:
so far I have not had any flutter problems. I also would like to have a bit more power. Last summer I started using 30% nitro as I do with my YS engines. This gave me almost 500 extra rpm in the Mag. 1.20. I did dial it back a tiny bit. The guy that built this plane for me did an outstanding job.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

I flew mine for about 2 years before the stab ever fluttered. And it happened in straight and level flight with no warning. About 2 seconds of flutter and the whole elevator, half the stab and the rudder all parted company with the plane.

Just make sure there's no sponginess in the elevator connections if you have the pickle fork pushrod.

Dave
Old 02-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Insanemoondoggie

I`m not going to use the kit pushrods , used a similar setup on a CG Piper Cub and did not like the way it worked . Very spongy .

Would one servo on the elevator and one on the rudder , mounted in the tail work ? I`m using Spetrum hi torqe servos {88oz } .

Does the plane build nose or tail heavy ?

Also , decided to go with the ST G2300 , already have it and a in-cowl muffler , so might as well use it . Should start the build this week .
Old 02-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Bass1

Here's mine. By the way my stab also fluttered and folded on it's maiden immediatlly after takoff[X(]. I was able to nurse it around the pattern and made the smoothest (luckiest) landing of my life. The dual elevator servos somehow gave me a little bit of elevator control even though both elevator halves were at 45 degree angles. It now sports a carbon fiber spar and 4/40 hardware/pushrods in the rebuilt horizontal stab!

Name:	By76479.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	868470  
Old 02-02-2008, 09:24 PM
rfmullig

what size Saito is that?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:36 PM
rfmullig

That is a pretty Sukhoi. The Sukhoi has such a great look and I love to see what others have done cosmetically.
I have not had any flutter problems with my Goldberg Extra and I hope that the Sukhoi also stays in one piece. I am considering mounting struts on the horz. Stab.
On all of the control surfaces I am using 130oz servos. with 440 push rods. Of course pull-pull on rudder.
Rob
Old 02-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Bass1

It's a Saito 150 with a perry pump. The fuel tank is over the CG.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:00 PM
TCrafty

Insane,

I've got a Goldberg Sukhoi with a G2300 in it. Flies it great. I have a 17X8 APC on it and I'm thinking of going down to a 17X6. It isn't too heavy with the SuperTigre in it, at least not like a gasser would be. I had a gasser in mine originally but never flew it with it in there. Here's a pic with the gasser.

Name:	Sq46125.jpg
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	869474  
Old 02-04-2008, 03:09 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Excellent plane for sure, mine flew very scale with a pumped OS 120 4 stroke on the nose. One day I'll build another one, sold this one !
Great plane

Name:	Ec89697.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	869642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36823.jpg
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	869643  
Old 02-04-2008, 05:57 PM
rfmullig

Thats is a Supertigre g2300 right? How is the fuel consumption? Virtical etc?
Rob
Old 02-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Nice Sukhoi , thanks for posting a pic and the info on the G2300 . I`m curious too, how is fuel consumption ?

Picked up a 14oz tank for mine, just incase .
Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 PM
TCrafty

Once I got the engine broken in properly, it wasn't bad at all for fuel. It currently has a 2300 ST in it but I did fly it with a Saito 180. It also had a gasser in it for a while but I never flew it with that engine. The ST has about the same power as the saito but I think it uses a little less fuel. I did have the saito running a little rich though. Either one would pull this plane around nicely. Vertical may not be unlimited but if you're going to find out how high it will carry it, bring your binoculars! I like overpowering planes (interestingly, I'm one of the slowest flyers at my field) and I like the way this plane flies with this engine. I don't think you'll be disapointed. And, it's MUCH lighter than a gasser.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:47 PM
rfmullig

Thanks a ton for the info!!! I also am interested in the ST 2300. I was considering a cheap gasser 26cc, but the weight to thrust ratio is an issue. How do you think the G-3250 would perform? Too heavy? I really want this plane perform as a Sukhoi should.-
Rob
Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 AM
HighPlains

The 3250 would be way too heavy. My Webra 1.20 weighs 26 oz, one of the lightest engines of that size. I could roll into knife edge on takeoff, clearing the wing tip by a couple of inches and climb on out in knife edge. It had enough power to do knife edge loops, though it ate up a lot of sky doing it. The only weakness of the kit was the landing gear plate would not hold up to the 1000's of touch and go's that I did with it. This was one of the early kits with the landing gear mounted to the wing. I doubled the number of wing ribs and doubled the width of all the kit ribs to increase glue surface area to solve it.

This is a nice flying sport model and took the abuse in the air quite well. (Actually better than the Webra did, as it chewed up the rear bearing after the first 110 flights.) Second Webra was in the plane when the Sullivan fuel system leaked half a tank of fuel out and the airplane ran out of fuel 15 foot off the deck during a snap roll. Zero airspeed, no engine, 12 foot drop with wings level. Broke fuselage in half, and damaged all the fiberglass parts. Still needs rebuilding.

Put the ST2350 on it, add the Jett Turbo-Jett in cowl tuned muffler and you will have a rocketship.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Insanemoondoggie

I was just surfing the Tower site, and the Sukhoi has been discontinued . Bummer !
Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 AM
HighPlains

I agree. This is typical of the end of many great model designs. It goes like this. Original company loses founder. It carries on for a while with some combination of remaining family and worker, but without founder it soon sells out. Or due to less builders, the business is just not profitable enough to carry on, so it sells out. In this case Goldberg sells to Lanier, Lanier to Hobbico, end of the line as we know it. Thanks evil empire, it's just numbers, not a hobby.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Yep , have to agree there . I have been kicking around the idea of scratch building , or short kits.

I have a few kits rat holed but not near enough, lol .. Really happy I pick up this kit this summer . It well be the biggest in my hanger and was looking for a plane that would improve my skills in pattern flying.

Going to start the build this week , have a little sheeting to finish on an Ultimate , then the building board will be open . Spent an hour or so reading the instructions last nite , seem to be a little vague in some spots, but I`m sure it will make sense once the plans are used.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Bass1

It well be the biggest in my hanger and was looking for a plane that would improve my skills in pattern flying
Great airplane for IMAC practice also. After mixing out a slight tuck to the belly in knife edge , my airplane just locks in the groove!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.