Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Low Passes Forbidden?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Low Passes Forbidden?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Jeffpro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Passes Forbidden?

We have a raging debate going on in our club and I wondered if other clubs have had similar issues.

The debate is over doing low passes down the runway. Our club has a longstanding rule against them. The rule was put in place some years ago by the pattern flyers in the club. The problem is that we warbird owners love to do low passes down the runway to show off our birds. The pattern flyers insist that it's a safety issue; that low passes are dangerous. But I go to warbird meets and jet meets all the time and see pilots perform one screaming low pass after another. Plus, I've asked around and have yet to find another club that has a rule against low passes.

So what's the scoop? Do other clubs forbid low passes down the runway? Is this prohibition common, or is our club unique in this regard? Is it legitimate for us warbird guys to push back on this rule and try to get it changed?
Old 01-04-2008, 07:17 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Low Passes Forbidden?

Banning the low pass is just un-American !!!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jeffpro
<<snip>> Is it legitimate for us warbird guys to push back on this rule and try to get it changed?
Sure! What else will be flying (or hovering) over the runway then?

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 01-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen the time that I would love to do a low pass at full throttle with my old
formula plane at just about hovering altitude.[>:][>:]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-04-2008, 08:03 PM
flipstart

Low passes especially with warbirds are encouraged at our club, as long as the flyer is courteous to other flyers taking off, in landing pattern or someone trying to learn to fly. We also have to stay on center of runway or further out. Hovering over the runway is strictly forbidden. How is that for rules!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

As long as they are parrallel with the run way I'm all for them.....You know that!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:30 PM
TCrafty

Maybe the problem lies with the guys who do a low pass then, turn right around and come back UP the runway from the direction they just came. I saw that on several occasions. VERY disrespectful to others who might be in the air at the same time and trying to keep some appearance of a pattern.

If you're the only one up there, fine. But, if there are others, let's try to be courteous.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Jeffpro

ORIGINAL: TCrafty
Maybe the problem lies with the guys who do a low pass then, turn right around and come back UP the runway from the direction they just came.
Nope, that's not the problem at all. And the problem isn't lack of courtesy. It's that a few guys in our club think *any* low pass is an accident waiting to happen. The rules are the same whether there's one plane flying or 10 planes flying.

Strangely enough, we don't have a rule against hovering over the runway. And our no-low-passes rule isn't just about the center of the runway: all flying is supposed to be done at least 40 feet past the far edge of the runway. From the feedback so far, it sounds like this is somewhat unusual.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Jeffpro

Hey, I didn't know there was a club in Andersonville. Is your runway paved or grass, and how long is it?
Old 01-04-2008, 09:15 PM
TakingFlight96

I don't think their is a rule against low passes. Although, no one in our club hardly has a warbird except for like a few people so, I honestly don't know for sure.

-- TakingFlight96
Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 PM
danny03

Our club does not have any rules against low passes. Does your club have a governing body? If it does talk with them about having the club vote on removing that rule. Just because your club currently has a rule against it, does not mean that the rule has to remain in effect.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:31 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a rule about high speed, low passes over the runway also. Basically, I think it is a safety issue. If a plane got out of control at 90 MPH that close to other pilots and the pit area, it would not be a good thing. The trick is to keep them out just a little further. Of course people still do it from time to time, myself included. It might even happen frequently when nobody else is around, but I won't confirm that.

I think the real key is common sense, being aware of other people around you and knowing when something is and isn't appropriate.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A most unusual rule indeed. This sounds as though it is the result of a small group who made an attempt in the past to stiffle any other discipline other than what they practice (in your case pattern aerobatic flyers).

John
Old 01-04-2008, 09:59 PM
RVator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A high speed low pass should be required of any warbird pilot not prevented. Thats when they look the best. I used to ride with a friend in his full scale RV-6. We never did any low passes down the runway but we flew the pattern and many aborted landings after calling out "going around" on the radio. We did add all the thottle on the decending turn to base and came over the runway threshold passing 190 mph. It was a blast. As an instructor once said the decsion to go around and shoot another approach is always a good choice.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Low passes over the runway --- How else can a person learn to land ???? High speed passes are another thing and should be at least over the outside edge of the runway and only with a spotter. Hovering over the runway --- a good target !!!!
ENJOY !!! RED
Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Insanemoondoggie

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

A most unusual rule indeed. This sounds as though it is the result of a small group who made an attempt in the past to stiffle any other discipline other than what they practice (in your case pattern aerobatic flyers).

John
This is more common than one thinks .
Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

What is the difference between a low pass and a landing? I have seen lots more accidents on landing than any low pass.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:04 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a large percentage of your flying time is spent turning and flying around the back 40. where else are you going to enjoy your high spped plane? i just use common sense and avoid blasting down the runway when there is going to be an obvious conflict.

david
Old 01-04-2008, 11:08 PM
mandtra
My Feedback: (29)

They have done the same at our field as well. I think at least at our field it's the old farts that can barely fly and just want to be busy bodys. And since most of the 63 members at our field are in their 60 to 70's and flying trainers, we few that like to fly many different ways are always out voted. Hey, they tried to ban Helis as well. cause they cant fly them. I guess if they cant do it -their aginst it. What's next being banned at the fields? low hovering, Harrier landings?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:16 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

I just came across this thread... Interesting comments.

At my club, we have a Field rule that states that no one can fly below 100 feet (unless landing) when there are other people flying. If they have the field to themselves, then go for it. I love to make low passes too! We also prohibit helicopter hovering and 3D hovering in front of the pilots stations.

On the flip side, I can understand some folks reluctance to allow them. If your club were full of competent, responsible pilots (note those last two words) then the world would be a perfect place and no one would have heartburn about an occasional low pass. The pilot would only do it when it was safe, and always have his plane in control.

However, there are always the 'brain surgeons' out there who think that they are better than they are... and the plane can get loose from them and cause accidents..

How about approaching the 'elders' at your field and see if the rule can be compromised a bit, as in the single-pilot rule above. Would they go for something like that?

Bob
Old 01-04-2008, 11:28 PM
carrellh

We do not have any written rules about low passes. Common courtesy would be to do them when you're the only one flying. Same goes for touch and goes and 3D.

It can be very unnerving to a novice pilot (me) to have planes constantly coming close to him while trying to fly. Veterans might be bothered by it, too.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:54 PM
KI8FR

The prob we have had with low passes is that some people ( well one ). If we have to take off from right to left then they want to fly left to right. In our club. I the wind is from left to right You take off right to left and fly that way over the run way. We have one guy that takes off right to left and then fly left to right. I think he just does not like to do right terns. I do not know why, to me Right to left is the same. So I did not make a fus over it cuz I thought they mite say no fly bys. So When he flys I stay in the pits whin the wind is comming from the left Then go up when he is done flying lol.

So what our club did was no fly bys on the day the wind is comming from the left of the runway. Wich up here is not much.
Thats not to bad.

All clubs will have somthing that no one like. The way I see it. Bring it up and the club meeting. Talk about it. and see what they have to say about it. They just mite chang it.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:09 AM
fozjared

that is the problem with large clubs i guess.. heck our safety officer was out there with me while i was flying one of my larger foamies.. we were standing in the middle of the runway and i was bringing it in real low and slow and we would jump out of the way and watch it fly by real close, man it was so much fun! and he is an older guy as well but was out there with me having a big time! he is an excellent pilot and can win combat against anyone out there, but he has more crashes than anyone because he likes the low and fast passes, plus he pushes the envelope with every plane he has (mostly all spads).. anyway, i think that outlawing the low pass is incredibly ridiculous! i would find another club, or raise enough h311 to where they change that rule, even if it were just for me, i would have to get it changed, or leave!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:30 AM
beepee

Speaking as one of our Club's safety officers - we have no rule against high speed passes down the runway. Understanding, though, that landing and taking off have priority. Generally, the passes will be in the pattern direction unless the flyer is alone. If the sky is busy, most guys will not do low high speed passes down the runway as a matter of courtesy.

Bedford
Old 01-05-2008, 08:11 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

I don't think that anyone should have to jump out of the way for a model airplane, at any time... whether it be planned/intentional or not.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.