Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

AFTER RUN ENGINE OIL QUESTION

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

AFTER RUN ENGINE OIL QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:05 PM
N1061D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFTER RUN ENGINE OIL QUESTION

I asked a LHS person if after run engine oil was necessary and he said only if your engine is going to be put up for an extended period of time,otherwise if you fly twice a month or so it wasn't needed.Last week,a guy at the field was watching/visiting with me while I prepaired to load up and head for home.He asked why I hadn't used after run oil as part of my routine.I told him what the LHS person had said and he said"aw he wants to sell you another engine when this one rusts up inside and wears out".Then he went on about the small amount of fuel left in the engine and the nitro attracting moisture and in the climate we fly in,with the high humidity and salt water air,I was asking for engine failure of some kind.Our field is only a few miles inland on the TX Gulf Coast.Built in the salt marsh.
He said he uses a small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil in the carb then cycles it through so it gets in the clyinder/head.It smokes for a minute or two the next time you run but burns off quickly.It makes sense to me.I haven't tried it yet though.What do yall think??
Old 01-19-2008, 02:20 PM
scratchonly

Default RE: AFTER RUN ENGINE OIL QUESTION

I use marine storage fogging oil in a pressure can in my 4S' after each day of flying; never had a bearing failure since using it.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:03 PM
XTOL

Using after run does no harm. Some will say it doesnt do any good
either. But I always use it. I use a 50/50 mix of Marvels Mystery oil
and ATF.

Ive only had one engine rust on me. It was an OS32 heli motor.
I never used after run in the helis since it was hard to get to
the carb to inject it. After that incident I use it all the time even
on the helis.

So...yea...go ahead and use it. But dont get fanatical over it.

Mike Hammer
Old 01-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you use after run oil, Rislone (in the yellow container) or ATF work very well as will any air tool oil. Marvel mystery oil, while better than nothing is not real good as an after run oil however the Marvel Mystery Air Tool oil is good. In order to do any good, in a four stroke engine, you must inject a suitable amount into the crankcase thru the breather port (putting it into the carb or exhaust does not get the oil where it is needed. You also need more than a couple of drops, more like a teaspoon full to do an adequate job. On a two stroke, putting it in thru the carb works fine.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:27 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Your caps lock button is stuck...
Old 01-19-2008, 07:03 PM
N1061D

Sounds like a good habit to get into.I am running a used OS .40 LA,run hrs. unknown.I haven't had any trouble with it and it starts real easy,runs great.Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:47 PM
octanehuffer

I only use it once a year for my engines. Most will get sprayed with WD-40 and flipped over then liberally sprayed into the cylinder. A couple others will get ATF. The gassers get nothing.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:26 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do I get after-run oil to the crankcase of an OS70 surpass? The carb is in the rear upside down ,inside a cowl, do I have to take the cowl off everytime ? Or is there another way to do it. TAZZZZ[sm=tired.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-20-2008, 07:29 AM
acarter

I always use after run oil for my glow engines. It can't hurt and it's cheap so why not use it. I use the hobbico after run oil for 2-cycles. Mcuh cheaper than a new engine

Austin
Old 01-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Using WD-40 as an after run oil is a recipe for disaster. WD-40 will quickly turn any rust that might be present (and there will be some) into a nice scouring powder inside the engine, works like a fine sand in destroying the innards of your engine. WD-40 is not a lubricant, it is a water displacer.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:30 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

ORIGINAL: N1061D

Sounds like a good habit to get into.I am running a used OS .40 LA,run hrs. unknown.I haven't had any trouble with it and it starts real easy,runs great.Thanks for the replies.

Well this is an easy one. The OS40LA does not use any bearings. it is a bushing engine. What does that mean for you. Anyone that tells you that your OS40LA engine or any LA series engine for that matter is going to rust bearings just walk away. Generally i am a big fan of after run oils. But i do not run them on a bushing engine. I just run it out dry at the end of the day.

Bearing engines i use after run oil. still i run it dry at the end of the day. then add after run oil. I have had problems with bearings rusting with or without after run oil but still prefer putting it in anyways.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:34 AM
tazzzz

d bodary Im with you on that one,, rust finds it way no matter what you use. How do you get the oil to the crankcase in an OS 70 surpass that is cowled,, thru the fuel inlet maybe? TAZZZZ
Old 01-20-2008, 11:58 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

I'm not familiar with the OS70. does this engine have a crankcase vent? If it does you can add oil thru the vent.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:49 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are in a humid place, use it, otherwise don't waste your time. The oil in the fuel takes care of your engine. Use it if you are going to store them for over a month. I have 30 year old engines that have never had after run oil, they still work fine.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:50 PM
B.L.E.

Running the engine completely dry is the key to avoiding rust. On the last flight, after landing, run the engine at full throttle for a couple of seconds and then kill it by either pulling the fuel line off or pinching it shut. It's the leftover methanol and nitro still in the engine that draws humidity out of the air and turns into a corrosive mixture. I also advocate storing the plane with the throttle completely open and the exhaust unblocked. This lets the engine breathe and allows any leftover fuel to evaporate. One gentleman who flies at my club had extremely bad luck with rusted bearings, after he flew, he would seal both the exhaust and carb with little plastic caps, this traps unburned fuel in the engine. Don't do it!
I think that the main benefit of additional after run oil is that turning the engine with the electric starter to distribute the oil through the engine also pumps a lot of air through the engine helping to flush out any unburned fuel.
I also have used an aquarium air pump to purge engines after flying. Hook the air to the muffler pressure tap. Plug the exhaust outlet. Turn the engine to a position where the exhaust and intake are both open at the same time. (there is about a 10 to 15 degree window where these two overlap in most two strokes) You can hear when its in the right position by the tone of the air pump. Let the pump blow air through the engine for about an hour or overnight and all traces of unburned fuel will disappear.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:50 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

If you visit the Morgan Fuels Website (Omega and CoolPower), you will see that they specifically recommend NOT using ARO. Those fuels have additives that prevent the corrosion. I use them, and haven't used ARO in 4 years.

If you're using a cheaper blend of fuel that doesn't have that protection, ARO may be a good investment.

Brad
Old 01-21-2008, 09:15 AM
tazzzz

No, it doesnt have a crankcase vent, even if it did ,its still in the cowl,,I just put oil down the glow hole a n spin her around a few times, I guess that will have to be efficient enough I guess. Thanks---TAZZZZ
Old 01-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Rod Bender

Marvel Mystery Oil\Mobil 1 50:50 works great