Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Unobtrusive Ignition Battery Switch

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Unobtrusive Ignition Battery Switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:51 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unobtrusive Ignition Battery Switch

I am trying to find an unobtrusive switch that I can use to turn the ignition battery on/off; this is a warbird and I am trying to eliminate the use of large ugly heavy duty switches being mounted on the surface of the cowl or fuselage; I found a charge port that looks like a fuel dot, so I'd like to find something with a small footprint that would not stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:08 PM
glover1482

Default RE: Unobtrusive Ignition Battery Switch

I use these for all of my toys power systems, both ignition and RX (including sailplanes). Works great! http://www.hollyday.com/rich/hd/sail...witchjacks.htm

Fly safe, Glover
Old 01-25-2008, 06:37 PM
skidd1000

Just my opinion, but I dont think the small pretty, dainty switch/charge jacks are as reliable. I have never seen or heard of a plane going in due to a switch vibrating off on one of the heavy duty switch/charge jacks. They might not be pretty but i'll take the reliabillity.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:50 PM
acarter

I use one of these:

http://rcatsystems.com/electronics/rc100.php

It's an electronic switch that hooks into a receiver channel. You can operate it from your radio as long as you have an extra channel. That way you can kill your engine from your radio, which is really handy. It has a light that will come on when your ignition has power. A great safety feature is that when your rx battery is off the ignition is off. Although I still have a switch on my plane for extra safety.

Austin
Old 01-25-2008, 07:45 PM
glover1482

ORIGINAL: skidd1000

Just my opinion, but I dont think the small pretty, dainty switch/charge jacks are as reliable. I have never seen or heard of a plane going in due to a switch vibrating off on one of the heavy duty switch/charge jacks. They might not be pretty but i'll take the reliabillity.

Switch/jacks are just a suggestion for someone to consider. Because I only use switch/jacks (up to three per airframe and never a failure) in my toys from sail to glow to 50cc gas does not mean anyone else must use them. The current capacity of the non-micro switch/jacks is comparable to most other options regularly used at the field where I fly. It certainly will carry more current that servo connectors. Along with the "low profile", the built-in battery charge port is a wonderful feature, as is the visual indication of on/off.

Fly safe, Glover
Old 01-26-2008, 02:40 AM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mount a switch in side the plane and hook a pin up to the switch and run it out side of the plane. It is small and had to see. On one plane I mad the pin look like a Handel. it worked. I put my charging jack under the plane were it is hard to see.

Paul
Old 01-26-2008, 11:40 AM
GmanBill
My Feedback: (10)

If you get a Smart-fly fiber optic kill switch you can hide your main switch inside the plane. The day you are flying you turn the switch on inside the plane putting the LED on your motor box where you can see it if you look past the motor and turn the ignition on and off with a switch on your radio.
http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Ignition/ignition.htm
Then you will be golden with no switch for ignition visible to people and judges.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:05 PM
GUNS

Go to Troybuiltmodels.com and check out their switches. You can get the pin switches which are even less obtrusive than the fuel dots! They look like they would fit the bill perfectly for you!

Tim
Old 01-29-2008, 03:07 PM
djr1007

Check Troy built out at http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/Regul....htm#FR%20flag. Look at the bottom of the page. nothing but a small hole and the pin with red flag on it! Looks like the real thing for warbirds. "Do not Fly" covers they use on pitot tubes and such.