Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Float Planes

Old 04-16-2003, 01:36 AM
clayfoushee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Float Planes

I am fairly new to the hobby and currently am flying a Hangar 9 Xtra Easy and just assembled a 4* 60 ARF, which I just flew with my instructor for the first time last weekend.

In the hobby store today, I saw a Lanier Amphibian (60 series in US Coast Guard colors). I don't remember any other info about it, but my question is: does anyone have experience with this airplane? Is it any easy or hard flyer, etc.?

I live on the water and would love to eventually fly from my dock. Obviously, I have to get more proficient on the land airplanes first. But, I wonder if this would be a good building project for a 3rd airplane.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Clay
Old 04-16-2003, 01:56 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Float Planes

If you want a really great seaplane, try the Ace Seamaster. It is only available as an ARF now days, but if you search around, you may still find one of the old kits..

Here's a review of the ARF:

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/reviews/seamaster.asp
Old 04-16-2003, 02:41 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Float Planes

I have found a few seamaster kits for people. They are a lot of fun. Expect to pay about $125 for a kit. Here is a link to another plane just about like it. I have one of these and it is good too. uglier than heck in the factor colors, but looks very nice in other colors. It is a Laker from Balsa USA and is a lot like the Seamaster.

http://www.balsausa.com/kits/kit.htp?id=27&shopperid=
Old 04-16-2003, 05:41 PM
clayfoushee

Default Float Planes

Thanks for the advice. After researching this website more thoroughly since my original inquiry, I've concluded that the overwhelming consensus is in favor of the Seamaster. It's not that anyone seems to criticize the Mariner, they just seem to feel that the Seamaster product is superior, and at a lower price to boot.

Clay
Old 04-20-2003, 10:31 AM
Kazonka

Default Float Planes

Hey Clay, I cant help you with the model in question but I have flown several planes off the Severn. I suggest finding a plane that really flys well and just adapting a set of floats to it. I flew a SIG Kavalier with a home made set of floats and a Andrews Trainermaster with premade plastic floats. The Trainermaster is no longer available. It was a low wing sport plane. I suggest you go with the upper end of the engine size suggestions or even a bit over. You need lots of power to get off the water. Where do you fly now
Old 05-10-2003, 12:57 PM
bobnreg

Default Float Planes

Clay one of the best all around sea planes is the SEA CRUSIER . It is not in production any longer but I"m sure a kit can be found .Ask around perhaps someone has plans you can copy at Kinkos
Old 05-13-2003, 01:31 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Float Planes

Suggest the moderator move this thread to the "Seaplanes" forum, but the new Lanier Mariner is great. Seamasters have been around for a LOOONG time, and they are also wonderful. Given the choice of the two, I'd take a Mariner because it has a v-bottom hull. Smoother landings, more stable. The Seamaster is flat-bottom. Seamasters are almost impossible to land without a skip or two, and being keel-less, they slide around a lot if you try to turn after landing. Both planes fly beautifully.
Also, The Seamaster elevator is on a T-tail and is controlled by a long, snaky, piece of goldenrod. I don't think goldenrod is very precise when it goes around one corner, much less two.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:57 AM
clayfoushee

Default Float Planes

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies to my inquiries. I did purchase the Seamaster ARF, which is now finished and ready to fly. I'm going to fly it off land before I have the courage to try it on the water.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:52 PM
coop02

Default Seaplane

Why not put your 4*60 on floats. See mine attached. The floats are RC Modeler plans #801 and are floats for a Flybaby. Worked perfectly on the 4*60 and flies good with an OS .61FX. Easily converted from floats to wheels, too.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:30 AM
MinnFlyer

Default Float Planes

First rule of float flying:

Have a BOAT ready! (or a swimmer) If your engine quits out there, (or worse) you need to go get it.

BTW, one of the best things about the Seamaster is it's flat bottom! The way that thing skids when turning on the water is so cool!
Old 05-14-2003, 01:34 AM
clayfoushee

Default Float Planes

Thank Coop02 and MinnFlyer. I do have a boat at my pier, which is where I intend to fly my Seamaster.

I thought about putting the 4*60 on floats, but wanted to start with an amphib.....something about the fuselage actually floating in the water and more like a boat seemed safer to me, rather than catching a float and flipping.

I've heard the same thing about how cool the flat bottom is on the Seamaster. Can't wait to see it, but the weather here has been so bad, it hasn't flown off land yet. Maybe this weekend.......

In the meantime, I acquired a Great Planes fabric-covered J-3 ARF (80" wing-span), which has "put floats on me" written all over it.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Clay
Old 05-14-2003, 02:57 AM
MinnFlyer

Default Float Planes

I have an old High School friend in Annapolis that's just getting back into the hobby. Once I get him on-line, I'll have to introduce you two. You'll probably be in the same club!
Old 05-14-2003, 01:13 PM
clayfoushee

Default Float Planes

Sounds good...Thanks MinnFlyer

Clay