Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Really stupid question about prop but....

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Really stupid question about prop but....

Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 PM
benjaminwiseman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really stupid question about prop but....

I have been out of the hobby for years and was wondering which way the prop turns if you are looking at the front of the plane??? Is it the same for nitro and electric???..Ben
Old 01-29-2008, 06:24 PM
meaden

Default RE: Really stupid question about prop but....

Nitro...counter clockwise.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:25 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Counter-clockwise when looking at the front of the plane. Yes, same for both nitro and electric.

Ken
Old 01-29-2008, 06:29 PM
meaden

Thought I'd give you half the answer. I don't fly electric. I like my counter clockwise props to make some noise
Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 PM
B.L.E.

Electric motors are simple to reverse, which means you can use tractor props on a pusher, have counter rotating props on a twin, or use a pusher prop as a tractor prop on a model of a full scale plane that has a clockwise turning prop. (Sukhoi SU 29, Volkwagen powered homebuilts)
There is even an electric setup with counter rotating coaxial shafts for what has to be the world's loudest electric plane.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

In the full scale world, British and Russian propellers turn clockwise (viewed from in front), while American props turn counterclockwise. Why?? I don't know... I just don't know[&o]
Old 01-29-2008, 10:04 PM
B.L.E.

Appearently,not all the British planes turned the props backwards. The Tigermoth did, so did the Griffin powered Spitfire (five blade prop). All the photos of 4 and 3 blade Spitfires that I was able to google up seemed to be pitched to turn in the conventional direction, unless someone flipped a negative while printing the photo. Didn't the P-51 Mustang use the same RollsRoyce Merlin engine used in the Supermarine Spitfires?
Old 02-02-2008, 04:52 AM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must have something to do with the equator eh ?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Villa

Hi RCKen
You do a great job on this forum. In my other life I used to design engine driven air compressors. As a young engineer specifying my first engine fan to cool both the engine and compressor, I specified the direction of air flow wrong. The error was very embarassing and I have never forgotten it. It is true that you learn from your mistakes. You state "Counter-clockwise when looking at the front of the plane". This can be missinterpreted because the person looking can be standing at the back of the plane "looking at the front of the plane". It is best to state "when looking from the front of the plane toward the back of the plane the direction of rotation is counter clockwise". To this day I cannot look at a fan or propeller without determining the pitch and direction of rotation.

Keep up the good work.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:53 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Or, we could just adapt the full scale rule and use "As viewed from the cockpit." [8D]

Which way does it rotate?

Old 02-02-2008, 05:21 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: benjaminwiseman

I have been out of the hobby for years and was wondering which way the prop turns if you are looking at the front of the plane??? Is it the same for nitro and electric???..Ben
Do this: choose a quiet place, sit with a prop in your hand. Look at the prop, examine it, turn it every way, look with intensity, then look with relaxed interest, let your imagination come forward , using the prop as a guide, keeping your focus on the prop. Keep doing this, and you will suddenly find enlightenment; you will know which way the prop turns.

Guaranteed!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:53 PM
B.L.E.

ORIGINAL: firstplaceaviator

In the full scale world, British and Russian propellers turn clockwise (viewed from in front), while American props turn counterclockwise. Why?? I don't know... I just don't know[&o]
Well, the Brits drive on the wrong side of the road also, why? I don't know. Probably just to be different than us.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:54 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Freeonthree, that appealed to my twisted sense of humor. Guess everyone else here is normal. Anyway, many of my engines would just as soon run with the prop rotating clockwise as viewed from the front as counter clockwise. However, I find it very difficult to control the airplane when the engine turns this direction.. I've had very few successful flights this way.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:37 PM
propjobbill

Didn't see this in any reply yet but Cox reed valve engines will run well in either direction. So they can be used with a right or left hand prop. But to my knowledse all other engines turn counter clockwise. On all brushed electric engines they can be run in either direction by switching the wires from side to side
Old 02-03-2008, 05:06 PM
B.L.E.

I forgot all about Cox reed valve engines. Yes indeed, they run in whatever direction they are started in. Some high performance brushed electric motors have the brush timing advanced to compensate for armature reaction under heavy load. These motors will spark heavily if they are run backwards or are regeneratively braked. The el-cheapo can motors usually come with neutral timing and work equally well in either direction.
Brushless motors can be reversed by interchanging any two of the three wires that power the motor from the esc. DO NOT reverse the battery polarity to the esc!!!