Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Nitro Park Flying???

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Nitro Park Flying???

Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 PM
tiggerracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Park Flying???

There is this guy that flys a glow engine at a local park. I thought that that is illigal. and i am positive that it is not electric. Not many people go to the park, its a big open field but still.....
Old 02-06-2008, 12:27 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Park Flying???

It's not necessarily illegal. That depends on the local laws where the park is located I would think. Maybe I'm wrong. I've flown 1/2A airplanes at school yards and parks before. Still, it's better to do it at an AMA affiliated club. That way, there are no complaints, there is less risk of damaging property and people and the hobby doesn't end up with a bad image in the area.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:54 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

ive been flying 25 years off my oen land never had ama or a club and afer reading all the crap that goes on im glad. Use common sense. dont take a warbird to a park if you dont know how to fly you are asking for trouble there.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:43 PM
TomXP411

Here's a link to the Cloverfield municipal codes:

http://www.codepublishing.com/CA/Cloverdale.html
A search for "model aircraft" turned up nothing. I don't think R/C models qualify as motor vehicles, so they're not prohibited on that ground. There's no specific prohibition of model aircraft in the city parks, as near as I can tell.

Here's a link to Sonoma County's code regarding parks and model aircraft:
http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com...lities_.html#1
This expressly prohibits operation of model aircraft outside of designated areas.

If you're really concerned about this guy flying in the park, why don't you talk to him? Whatever you do, do NOT tell him that he shouldn't fly there. Instead, talk about his plane. ("Hey, I fly a plane too. That's a great one! What is it?") Ask if he wants to come fly at your airfield. "Do you belong to the local club?" "What, you didn't know that there are a hundred guys like you and me who meet down at xxx and fly every weekend? Dude you gotta come!"

If you confront him, you'll just make him angry. But if you can gently prod him towards joining the AMA and the club, he'll learn responsibility. Whatever you do, don't say anything negative! Even if you're 100% right, you'll lose him.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:17 PM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sometimes fly at our local soccer complex. There are about 10 or more soccer fields there, plus a large paved parking lot which is a great runway. One nearby resident complained, the police showed up and enjoyed the flying. I checked with our city attorney and was informed that no local ordinance prohibited this activity, and since this is a city park, it's available for the use of the public. I also talked with our local Judge, he agreed taht this would be a great place to fly!

bhady
Old 02-08-2008, 07:18 PM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sometimes fly at our local soccer complex. There are about 10 or more soccer fields there, plus a large paved parking lot which is a great runway. One nearby resident complained, the police showed up and enjoyed the flying. I checked with our city attorney and was informed that no local ordinance prohibited this activity, and since this is a city park, it's available for the use of the public. I also talked with our local Judge, he agreed taht this would be a great place to fly!

bhady
Old 02-08-2008, 09:09 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want the final word on a park in your town, call the City Parks & Recreations Dept.

As for nitro being more dangerous than electric IT IS NOT and there is no sensible reason to consider it any safer to fly electrics over any other type. Any propeller that can pull a model is capable of the same damage irrespective of what turns it.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:20 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Just remember it's much easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission, so if there are no signs I probably wouldn't raise any flags by asking if it's okay to fly there. The guy flying nitro is a problem if you enjoy flying electric at this park. What I've noticed, is that while it's true (small) gas is no more dangerous than electric, you have the issue of perception to contend with. Joe public hears a gas model in operation and thinks either "that's annoying" or "that thing is dangerous." Or both. It attracts all sorts of attention, possibly from blocks away, both positive and unfortunately, negative. However a quiet electric model will only be noticable to someone nearby who sees it. I fly a brushless formosa at a ball field right next to my house, and nobody ever seems to know it's there since it's so quiet. I've had a few people walking their dog say "that's really cool," but that's about it. The smaller, quiet electrics are non-threatening, even if that doesn't make sense to us. I just aquired a .25 size stick that I know would fly within the area, but I wouldn't dare fly it there because I realize a blanket ban of model airplanes could easily be imposed because of someone complaining. It's also important to not suck at flying, since if you dumb thumb it into a nearby house, car, or god forbid, person, you stand a good chance of losing the field.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:31 PM
broke_n_bummin

ORIGINAL: tiggerracing

There is this guy that flys a glow engine at a local park. I thought that that is illigal. and i am positive that it is not electric. Not many people go to the park, its a big open field but still.....
I fly out here at my house, but I'm out in the middle of nowhere. Still, it never fails at least once a year someone thinking they're the model airplane police will drive right by the "No Tresspassing" sign in my driveway only to inform me that I can't fly my planes in my own yard, I need to go to an AMA field.
I'm not saying all AMA clubs are bad, but the 2 I'm closest to are like most of the churches around here: A common place for people to gloat about how much better they are than someone else.
If the guy is out there flying his plane, minding his own business, maybe you should give him the same courtesy. If he's not doing anything to bother you, why would you feel it necessary to open a can of worms? I bet you don't dial 9-1-1 every time you see someone going 61 MPH in a 55 MPH speed zone, or see a vagrant picking up cans on the side of the road. Maybe the guy is out there flying by himself because he doesn't get along with many people. There are people that can't be around a crowd of people. That doesn't mean that he shouldn't be allowed to have a hobby.
Do unto others .... If the guy isn't over there beating his wife or kids or kicking someone's dog, let him be. (he may be a "rehabilitated" ex - mass murderer, and this is how he vents ... ya never know.....)
Old 02-11-2008, 04:23 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Just remember it's much easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission, so if there are no signs I probably wouldn't raise any flags by asking if it's okay to fly there.
Thats the kind of advice that gets people in trouble.

If you have AMA coverage, follow the safety code, and have permission to fly somewhere you are covered. If something happens and they slap a tresspassing violation on top of it chances are your insurance company would send you a thank you card for letting them off the hook.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Well that's what I would do.