Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Monocote Madness!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Monocote Madness!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monocote Madness!

Only because Ultracoat does not make the Blue I needed I used Monocote to recover my funtana. Well it is'nt a Funtana anymore. After sitting a day in my temp-controlled shop, I've got wrinkles that have wrinkles!. So I've done "Searches" on the subject and watched Minn-Flyer's excellant videos ( not with Monocote) and have no real solution to deal with this mess.

The Direction say pull and tack down each corner of the wing first , going from end to opposite end, BUT WHAT THEY SHOULD TELL YOU IS " PULL THE STUFF AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN IN EVERY DIRECTION NOW BECAUSE ITS NOT GOING TO SHRINK AFTER IT'S TACKED!!.

venting is now over. Any ideas are welcome.....
Old 02-14-2008, 01:39 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Monocote Madness!

But if you look again, you'll see that I DID use MonoKote

The Metallic Blue was MK.

Only the Red and White were UC
Old 02-14-2008, 02:58 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

If your monokote is not shrinking, you're not using sufficient heat. I've found that the Blue monocoat takes quite a bit of heat, but I've never had a problem getting it to shrink. Also make sure you let it overlap any edges by about 1/8 inch. This will help it grip when you shrink it. Use a heat gun to shrink it. The iron only heats a very localized area. The gun will let you see the covering shrink as you go. Work your way closer to the covering until it starts to shrink and then move away to keep from burning holes.

Brad
Old 02-15-2008, 12:45 AM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've switched to ultracote... much easier on compound curves and shrinks better with less heat. You don't have to be perfect and you can still get all the wrinkles out with the gun.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:44 AM
expo
My Feedback: (20)

I agree with Kit, use UC. I've learned over the years---only ladies worry about a shade off with a color.

Besides when it's 30' in the air it will look the same anyway. 100' you won't even know it's blue. JMHO
Old 02-18-2008, 10:53 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: expo

I agree with Kit, use UC. I've learned over the years---only ladies worry about a shade off with a color.

Besides when it's 30' in the air it will look the same anyway. 100' you won't even know it's blue. JMHO
That's relative... If you're a builder with an eye for quality, a shade off is gonna stand out and not look good.

somegeek
Old 02-18-2008, 03:30 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

get out the oxy-acetylene torch and that stuff will shrink right up

i made the switch to UC and haven't looked back. The glue on the monocote is a little tackier than ultracoat, but i can deal with that. I can't deal with monocote's extremely high shrink temps, although i have never had the wrinkle problem that you are describing.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:35 PM
acarter

Well I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't mind Monokote. I use monokote with no problems, although I do have a heat gun (really helps). I used ultrakote a while back and there is no doubt that it shrinks A LOT better and is easier to work with. But when you add the extra $4 a roll, it can cost you $15 more to cover a plane in UK. That $15 is worth the extra time that MK takes to work out the wrinkles.

Austin
Old 02-19-2008, 11:49 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't mind MK either I have worked with both. They both seam to have their pros and cons. One thing with MK, I use the hottest setting on the iron and finish with a heat gun. The top of this plane is MK the bottom is UK. Also the green is 15 years old or more. Still works fine.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49228.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	883071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53958.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	883072  
Old 02-19-2008, 10:32 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, I am a Monokote fan. I have a heavy hand when it comes to irons and heat guns, so Monokote works great for me. This P-40 has a lot of MK on it. no sags, or torn covering ever.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98670.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	883587  
Old 02-20-2008, 09:01 AM
flygilmore

All of us have heat guns. In my experience, Monokote is nothing like it was 10yrs. ago. I switched to UC a couple of years ago and will never use the stuff again!! I don't know what is exactly different with the "new" MC but it doesn't shrink and stay tight like it used to-I have never been so aggrevated with a covering material in my life the last few times I used it.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:23 AM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

ORIGINAL: flygilmore

All of us have heat guns. In my experience, Monokote is nothing like it was 10yrs. ago. I switched to UC a couple of years ago and will never use the stuff again!! I don't know what is exactly different with the "new" MC but it doesn't shrink and stay tight like it used to-I have never been so aggrevated with a covering material in my life the last few times I used it.
I have to agree that Monokote isn't what it was in the past. I have 20 year old planes covered with Monokote that are perfect.
I recently went to my Dads to help him cover a Sig Kadet Senior with Transparent Yellow Monokote. I started with the stab and rudder to teach him. I don't know if MK gets bad batches once in a while but this stuff was horid ! We've got four rolls of this crap!!
Maybe I'm just spoiled with Solartex from Balsa USA. Best material I've ever used.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:31 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree. I am an Ultracoat user as Monokote just does not work as well as it used to. As mentioned, I have some planes that are covered in Monokote 15 years ago and they still look great. The last plane I did with Monokote 3 years ago looks like crap as it is nothing but one big sag. I can shrink it with my heat gun and it tightens right up and 2 hours later, all sags again. I switched to Ultracoat and have not had any problems at all with sagging. I am in the process of covering my Decathlon with Worldtex, and I have to say, beyond compare the best covering I have ever used. It goes on with different temp settings on the iron and once finished it is flawless. I will be building more planes that need a fabric finish for sure. Good Luck, Dave
Old 08-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

I have to agree. I am an Ultracoat user as Monokote just does not work as well as it used to. As mentioned, I have some planes that are covered in Monokote 15 years ago and they still look great. The last plane I did with Monokote 3 years ago looks like crap as it is nothing but one big sag. I can shrink it with my heat gun and it tightens right up and 2 hours later, all sags again. I switched to Ultracoat and have not had any problems at all with sagging. I am in the process of covering my Decathlon with Worldtex, and I have to say, beyond compare the best covering I have ever used. It goes on with different temp settings on the iron and once finished it is flawless. I will be building more planes that need a fabric finish for sure. Good Luck, Dave
Where do ya get Worldtex?
Old 08-17-2008, 06:33 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I get my Worldtex from Balsa USA. Worldtex and Sig Koverall are my new favorites. I remember using Monocoat well over 20 years ago and it is not the same stuff. Very difficult to work with now and not a pleasure. I have a plane that I covered maybe 25 years ago with Monocoat red and it still looks great. One I covered last year looks like it won a wrinkle contest. Poor product at best in my opinion.[:@]
Old 08-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ditto the guys who say Monokote has changed. I used to love the stuff; then I cot a covering job that has to be re-shrunk after every flying session (and you can't re-shrink it under the canopy, so that wrinkle stays). I've switched to Coverite 21st Century film. So far, so good.

I've heard that they changed the formula because the old stuff had lead in it, and they figured somebody'd sue if their kid ate an airplane and got sick. No crazier than a lot of lawyer stories.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back on subject. A heat gun will/can blow A hole in Mono so fast you will never see it comming. I turn my iron WAY up, hand burning on the wooden handle high, about 3/4 power and just lightly go over the Monocrap covering. It should/sometimes shrinks up real well.
I was forced to use some of that neon mono right now and it reminded me why I changed over to ultra about 10 years ago. Odd that some of there colors still work OK, just none of the ones I am forced to use!!
Old 08-20-2008, 02:21 PM
TedMo

Maybe I'm missing something here? I have used both over the years and do not have a favorite. What seems to be missing here as I read your post is after tacking you MUST seal entire ldg. and tr. edg before applying heat gun. Could be I have not understood that you had done that? Just tacking 4 corners isn't going to what you want it to without a doubt. In fact I recommend you do both top and bottom totally sealed before trying shrink.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:26 PM
jetmech05

Monokote for me and I have a heat gun..if it isn't shrinking use more heat
Old 08-24-2008, 04:37 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Have used Monokote for years without a problem. However, I use Balsarite for film on my aircraft framwork, lightly sand it when dry, wipe down the framework with a vac and folded paper towel, then use a pin to poke air-escape holes in the wood (about one every square inch or so), then apply the MK with a sock covered iron at the rec. temp. and follow that with the heat gun. Takes a bit of extra prep time but has always held up nice.