Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

airplain eng. need help

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

airplain eng. need help

Old 02-18-2008, 09:31 AM
EYEPOP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airplain eng. need help

A friend gave me an eng. I know nota thing about them. It has stamped on it MAX OS and 10. He said it runs, he pick it off ebay for $2. How fast is this eng. is it nitro or gas? like I know nota so any info will help. On the other hand I was thinking about making a funny car with it, want to builed from scrach. I know the eng. has to have air flow to cool it. so I'm wanting to put in the front of the car poping out of the hood. dose anyone think this ideal is crazzy. Let me know, if you don't please give me some ideals GOD BLESS Y'ALL
Old 02-18-2008, 10:29 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: airplain eng. need help

That is an airplane engine that runs on Glow Fuel. Not only is it air cooled, but it also needs a propeller to blow the air over it.

If you want to put it in a car, I would suggest mounting it on the rear with a propeller and make an Air Car (Like the Air Boat pictured)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51906.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	882063  
Old 02-18-2008, 04:33 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the os 10 was offered about 1972,it is not a very fast or powerrful engine it swings a 7-3 or 7-4 prop and should use 22% oil in the fuel.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Jburry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, while it's not what we'd call really fast or powerful, do please understand that it will turn in the 10,000-15,000 rpm range. It will have plenty of power to shift a plane in the 1.5-2.5 pound range with decent authority. It is certainly capable of amputating fingers, if one is careless. Don't even think of trying to start it until it's firmly mounted to something. It'll make a couple pounds of thrust, I'd think.

Feed it 15% nitro fuel, and use props in the 6x4-8x4 range. To use it in a car would be difficult. You'd have to consider flywheel, power take-off (how you gettin' power to the wheels?), cooling etc. An air car would be pretty cool.

J